So, I stupidly deleted a few of refs...

strungout

Hi,

Sometimes I would try to use a static object and nothing would show up (could see the highlighted 'box' but no mesh), so I hit 'delete'... a window pops up telling me this object has references that will also be deleted. I didn't think about it, I just clicked 'yes'. Then I realized that deleting one deleted ALL of the refs in game. I'd really like not to have to start over. Again. Again. I totally don't remember which ones I deleted...

What would you do to fix this issue?

I was thinking if I merged two esps, my mod and a clean dummy one, together that would fix it. I'd use FO3Edit to copy everything from my current mod into a dummy mod.

Would this work?

Thanks in advance!

Load your mod in FO3Edit, find the deleted references, and remove the the "Deleted" flag from them in your mod.

Wouldn't you just want to delete the entry in your mod vs removing a deleted flag.

Seems that would introduce 2 instances of the vanilla object , to then have one showing up as a copy with its form ID ? Also there would be broken links in the esp file overwriting the esm links ?

Edited by Mktavish

@quicksilverva: Thanks! That seems to have done the trick. I can rest easy. Haha!

No worries mate. Doing it that way introduces what is called an ITM, or an Identical To Master record. While it is best practice to not have any ITM records in mods, they are essentially harmless. Please note that you could either leave the ITM in your mod, or you could go back at a later date and remove it. Either way works.

Wouldn't you just want to delete the entry in your mod vs removing a deleted flag.

Seems that would introduce 2 instances of the vanilla object , to then have one showing up as a copy with its form ID ? Also there would be broken links in the esp file overwriting the esm links ?

Actually no. The game will only load one instance of that particular record in that particular spot as the ITM "overrides" the record in Fallout3.esm.

@quicksilverva: Thanks! That seems to have done the trick. I can rest easy. Haha!

No worries mate. Doing it that way introduces what is called an ITM, or an Identical To Master record. While it is best practice to not have any ITM records in mods, they are essentially harmless. Please note that you could either leave the ITM in your mod, or you could go back at a later date and remove it. Either way works.

Actually no. The game will only load one instance of that particular record in that particular spot as the ITM "overrides" the record in Fallout3.esm.

Oh , so no copy production then , and yes that makes sense the esp would override the esm.

But then , doesn't that suggest , any links with the reference that got checked out upon deletion , will not get repaired.

Therefore , their state of not being linked will override the original links in the esm ?

Hence instead ... deleting the deletion record from the esp , will let it go back to the original state of functioning only in the esm.

But then , doesn't that suggest , any links with the reference that got checked out upon deletion , will not get repaired.

Therefore , their state of not being linked will override the original links in the esm ?

Right. Anything that calls upon the deleted reference will not work as intended, as the called upon reference would not be used by the game. See attached Example 1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/quicksilverva/Example%201_zpsdxmvi6q7.jpg

No data available to be used by game

Hence instead ... deleting the deletion record from the esp , will let it go back to the original state of functioning only in the esm.

Precisely. Removing the deleted flag will have the same effect as well. See Example 2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/quicksilverva/Example%202_zps6wfptcct.jpg

All data identical to master

So you are saying the links never get broken , but just get some white out put on them so to speak.

Then unchecking the deleted flag makes these links active again ?

It's just in my experience , don't remember the exact scenario , but removing a ref that has other items calling to it , brings up a warning about saying things will get checked out. (become inactive) And then bringing the ref back , did not repair the correlations. Which true I never did use the unchecking deleted flag. So not really sure. And I'll go do my own testing , like for example deleting an enable parent , then remove its deletion flag.

But still , you said having the ITM was not desireable , so why wouldn't someone just select the deletion record , and punch up delete instead. It's just as easy. I myself have done it that way , when I did delete some vanilla objects.

A building ,some other statics around it , and the navmesh around it. I wanted to return the area to vanilla , so I just deleted the deletion records from my .esp and so far I see no problems.

Add edit : by the way this is what I was using : FO3Edit_3_0_26_EXPERIMENTAL-637-3-0-26EXP

That is the folder name anyways ... the file version on the exe is 3.0.24.0

Edited by Mktavish

@ quicksilverva Just to clarify my intent ... I'm not trying to be right on this subject ... It's that I have a vested interest in it for the health of my mod. And I really appreciate any light you can shed on it. Like maybe I should go back and use the remove deleted flag , instead of deleting the deletion records. Cuz presently , its not to much of a hassle for me to do that right now.

@ strungout sorry to hijack your thread :pirate:

Edited by Mktavish