Using Mods

tmpyemail

I wanted to share my method of using mods so here it is. Most you will think I'm crazy but after trying to use the launcher, steam and nmm I was so frustrated I took to editing the steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XComGame\Config\DefaultModOptions.ini directly. For Wotc the path is different.

It's a lot of work largely because of the way steam handles mods but for me it works well.

Using a text editor to change that file I can remain subscribed to all the mods and never have to worry about a launcher or mod handler deciding to start over and rebuild the whole list. It's also a more hands on approach and helps me become more familar with the mods. Once I know the current combination is working, I can continue adding to it. Which I usually do as I go along.

Using a text editor, like windows notepad, I am able to have sections in the ini such as:

;---Weapons and Weapon Mods
ActiveMods="BuildableHunterWeaponsRedux"
ActiveMods="AlienHuntersWeaponsPlus"
ActiveMods="WOTC_ABetterArsenal"

;---Soldier Appearance Mods
ActiveMods="FreetheHood-WotC"
ActiveMods="OneMillionColours"
ActiveMods="OneMillionColoursPluginForWOTC"

;---Squadmates
ActiveMods="WOTC_Kerrigan_Squadmate"
ActiveMods="WOTC_Kasumi_Squadmate"
ActiveMods="WOTC_Shepard_Squadmate"

using a semi-colon to indicate a comment line and use that for section titles. I can also easily comment out a mod to prevent it from loading.

It's a bit of work because I have to get the mod name from it's numerical folder in the workshop content folder or with Nexus mods from it's named folder, the filename with the .XComMod extension.

I'm not suggesting anyone else would want to do things this way, just sharing my rather old school ways.

Edited by tmpyemail