Do NOT Clean Skyrim Master Files!

Fkemman11

Are you guys talking about "Verify integrity of game files"? If you are it does not replace Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini. does not touch the folder that they are in. As for cleaning master files, that is of course a personal preference but I have been cleaning Update.esm and the DLC esms after validating my game files for about 5 years now and as far as I can see it has never affected my game.

Cleaning mod esp's is probably a bad idea unless the mod author specifically tells you it is alright on the mod page. LOOT does not know whether ITMs or UDRs are essential for that mod to work properly. Although I have heard that is ok to clean UDRs in an esp, sometimes I have and sometimes not, never noticed a difference either way.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Steam will replace your cleaned master files that's why I keep a backup so I dont have to replclean them every time I want to verify the rest of the games integrity. If a mod maker doesn't know that the majority of modders, including everyone who uses STEP, clean those files I wouldn't want to use their mods.

Fine. Maybe I am wrong. But what stinking files would Steam need to be replacing?

Edit- Yeah I am wrong. Just checked and Steam only replaces 3 files after cleaning the DLCs. Sorry folks. :wallbash:

Those three files were probably the Update and DLCs you may have cleaned with TES5Edit. Verify returns then to the original state.

Steam will replace your cleaned master files that's why I keep a backup so I dont have to replclean them every time I want to verify the rest of the games integrity. If a mod maker doesn't know that the majority of modders, including everyone who uses STEP, clean those files I wouldn't want to use their mods.

There is no "rest of the game integrity." When you verify the integrity of your files Steam only looks at your Skyrim master files. It does not look at any files added by mods, or any ini files, or anything else.