How do I use D.C. structures from FO3 in the New Vegas G.E.C.K.?

EshamTheUnholy

Do I need to import Fallout 3's meshes/textures for world models? I'm looking to use the buildings that appear in the downtown D.C. ruins (for example; L'enfant, Gorgetown, Vernon Square, ect), since I really like the look of the structures seen there. I can't find exactly what I'm looking for on how to do this for my W.I.P. mod.

Edited by EshamTheUnholy

If they are already present in the FNV files, then you can use them. Otherwise, you cannot ... at least not without written permission from the copyright owners even if they are same for both games. Unauthorized use of assets from one game in another is a copyright violation ... "Piracy". Bethesda has been clear that they do not allow that use between titles. See the Nexus "Terms of Service".

You are going to have to create your own versions of those meshes/textures from scratch. OR you can take a page from the "Tales of Two Wastelands" team, and make it a requirement of your mod that the player own both games. But note that the TTW team is "tolerated" by Bethesda, and not officially "authorized" to do that (as far as I know). They are very careful to remain in Bethesda's good graces. Your best bet would be to make a mod for TTW.

-Dubious-

Not surprised Bethesda is this way, they took Fallout and ran with it pretty much, hogging the spotlight for others to make from it even if it is non profit. Even New Vegas could've been more than it is if they could do whatever they wanted, alas they could only make what was named as "Fallout 3.5". Otherwise, I'd really like to know how to do this without getting in trouble, I am making an urban area reminiscent of FO3's D.C. ruins, just engulfed in a blanket of radiation.

I'm currently messing around with a similar idea, from my experience unpacking the .bsa files into your new vegas directory, should allow you to import them into statics in the new vegas geck.

I'm not fully done testing this approach out but theoretically, when you're shipping your mod, you can tell people to just copy the .bsa file from their fallout 3 directory into their fallout new vegas directory, this is ofcourse a very dumb approach, compared to how Tale of Two Wastelands handles it.

However this should remove you from any legal-shittery, as you have not included the actual files in your mod but instead tell people to use their own files.
I am interested in hearing if it worked. If this approach doesn't work, doing something similar to TTW might be required.