Is anyone else Fed up with Steam-Bethesda updates?

boboteabaggins

Offline mode is not a solution. Some of us have other online-only steam games that we like to play.

"Do not keep this game up-to-date" does not stick.

Patches are clearly not being well tested. I have around 10 rl friends who purchased Skyrim. None of them are still playing.

Three quit because they aren't really as into role-playing games as they think.

The other seven of us are now unable to play because of 1.4.27. If 1.5 doesn't fix the issues, or if it is too long in the making, we might forget to come back.

I mean that in a serious sense (not a silly e-drama sense). It has been a few weeks already, and eventually I'll just get into a book series re-read or something.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rpger30

Try that app I just posted about - all it does is to force the Steam option "Do not keep this game up-to-date", but then PREVENTS Steam from changing it back, and it really works. You can use Steam normally in every way - it just won't update Skyrim until you allow it. I know this won't help you right now, but it will stop the same problem in the future.

@a7x5631

What I would really like to see is not going to happen. It's quite feasible that all the game studios could get together and create one online DRM activation solution, that is ultra light weight, completely open source and does its single job only. All users could inspect and trust the code, since openness doesn't compromise security with public key encryption, by design. It could be made far tougher than Steam, which probably most teenagers know how to circumvent in ten minutes. When it eventually gets hacked, just fix and update it for new games - at least a good chunk of revenue will have been saved from piracy for as long as it stood. It's fair to the developers, and a reasonable, tolerable proposal for the users. Have the likes of Steam be purely sales and distribution channels.

The reason it won't happen is that big companies really like the idea of gaining some control of the users computer, and being able to monitor, analyze and market to them. It's just too tempting. They'll have done their sums and concluded that the vast majority will go along quietly, and the few who really object are worth it for the opportunities.

But we don't have to like it!

Edited by MontyModMonster

Can't be bothered reading the whole topic, but I'll say one thing.

Having a non-steam version of Skyrim is great :3

isn't the game required to use steam?

Be careful here guys. It is very easy to remove steam, and in some countries this may be legal, but the Nexus will ban very quickly if people start discussing hacks here.

I still hold to what I said before: Bethesda listened to the wrong crowd when they began patching the PC version of the game. Numerous people began modding this game long before the proper tools were available. They installed mods using questionable tools. They also tried running the game without admin rights and on inferior systems which could not hack it. Then they complained.

At great length they complained.

I played this game for more than 100 hours of vanilla Skyrim with no crashes, no slow downs and no hiccups. Then I modded and played another 20+ hours without problems.

Now, as of the latest patch....Khajiit merchants are missing from their camps. My FPS sucks. (And no, I did not add high res textures beyond those I had for the first 100 hours.) During the first 100 hours I played on High and Ultra. Now, I have shadows on f***ing medium just to play the game. For the record:

AMD Phenom Quad Core Black Ed.

8GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 460, 2GB RAM

More than enough power to run this game. Far more than enough. And for 100 hours, I had no issues with it. Now....its a disaster, compared to its state at release.

I wish Bethesda would listen to the players who take care of their games and their hardware. Many of their so-called patches have broken more than they have fixed. Between this and the lack of depth, safe to say Skyrim is my last Beth-developed game.

"Many of their so-called patches have broken more than they have fixed. "

Is this really true? I've heard this over and over and yet have not experienced it. I know the first (or was it the second?) patch broke magic resistance and made dragons do odd things, but after that I haven't noticed any problems with the patches. I still have only had a couple CTDs and a few minor graphic bugs that I can overlook easily enough. Have the patches really been that bad or does this come from so many people modding the game, messing with the ini, and adding dll's that perhaps don't know what they're doing?

"Many of their so-called patches have broken more than they have fixed. "

Is this really true? I've heard this over and over and yet have not experienced it. I know the first (or was it the second?) patch broke magic resistance and made dragons do odd things, but after that I haven't noticed any problems with the patches. I still have only had a couple CTDs and a few minor graphic bugs that I can overlook easily enough. Have the patches really been that bad or does this come from so many people modding the game, messing with the ini, and adding dll's that perhaps don't know what they're doing?

I think it's more of a modding thing as you said. All of the patches, minus the backwards dragons have worked really well for me. Optimization's and the 4GB loader have made my game not CTD once.

SKSE and Script Dragon are the only ones I can think of that need updating after a patch. I use neither, but when I did they would update in less than 24 hours. Plus Script Dragon seems to do more harm than good. I actually haven't even heard of it until people started complaining it didn't work after a patch came out.

Can't be bothered reading the whole topic, but I'll say one thing.

Having a non-steam version of Skyrim is great :3

isn't the game required to use steam?

If he bought the disc version and hasn't updated to any of the patches, I think he can play without Steam. The second patch is the one that forced Skyrim to be used on Steam. You still need Steam to install it though.