Is anyone else Fed up with Steam-Bethesda updates?

boboteabaggins

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to make a mistake and break offline mode for yourself, but neither I nor anyone I know has ever had a problem with it after their first day of figuring out how it works. Bugs probably happen, but to a 'large percentage of people'? Unlikely. I don't consider 0.6% to be 'a large percentage'.

It's easy to make a mistake and break offline mode for yourself, but neither I nor anyone I know has ever had a problem with it after their first day of figuring out how it works. Bugs probably happen, but to a 'large percentage of people'? Unlikely. I don't consider 0.6% to be 'a large percentage'.

Having used Steam since the day HL2 came out, and having been a frequent visitor to the Stam forums, I can tell ou beyond a reasonable doubt, that Offline mode simply does not work for a very large group of people, its such a problem, that is so seemingly unfixable even Valve jokes about it.

Having used Steam since the day HL2 came out, and having been a frequent visitor to the Stam forums, I can tell ou beyond a reasonable doubt, that Offline mode simply does not work for a very large group of people, its such a problem, that is so seemingly unfixable even Valve jokes about it.

I've been in offline mode for two weeks now.

Offline mode won't work for you? Unplug your Ethernet cable and/or disable your network adapter. You can't download anything with no internet connection at all, and I think they have a name for it...true offline mode? It's only a few simple clicks, but if the updates bother you that much, shouldn't you have been doing that since the beginning?

Offline mode won't work for you? Unplug your Ethernet cable and/or disable your network adapter. You can't download anything with no internet connection at all, and I think they have a name for it...true offline mode? It's only a few simple clicks, but if the updates bother you that much, shouldn't you have been doing that since the beginning?

:yes: That's actually real funny. I know its a true solution, but seriously is or should it really be necessary. how many other games are out there that don't have this unique problem. And it is very fixable they choose not to. BTW my offline does work, I am just annoyed that I cant go online to play games with my friends on LFD2, all my multi-player games. I have over 150 games roughly on steam. yeah I think steam owes that to me to get this one little problem fixed and to not be blown off when I bring the problem up. :wallbash:

PEACE!!

So would you prefer a far worse DRM? Steam is by far the lesser of all evils and from what I can is here to stay. They are even coming out with a "SteamBox" cross between a PC/Console soon.

This has zero (0) to do with DRM. Steam preferences for a given game have a tick box for "don't update automatically", but it doesn't work. Autoupdates get turned back on apparently randomly. This bug has existed for at least 2 years and Steam refuse to fix it, which is asinine. There is absolutely no good reason why I shouldn't be allowed to manage my updates directly. (Edit: in the interest of fairness, there are claims that the entire Steam platform is being rewritten and they're addressing the issue in the new version. No ETA or, I think, official confirmation.)

Ast far as fixes go, offline mode works for Skyrim. It's apparently somewhat problematic with the Workshop needing online access (I haven't tried), but of course you could just use Nexus instead.

Alternately, in many cases keeping a copy of tesv.exe would work, whether manually or through restore. (In some it won't work, I assume. For best results, the entire directory should probably be versioned so you know exactly which files have been changed. I've personally made the whole thing a git repository as an experiment.

Edited by meh12345

Part of me doesn't like an auto update that could potentially ruin one of my builds, but then again, there are so many mods I'm waiting for that just make Skyrim feel like an actual ES game (spell creation, degradation, acrobatics, attributes) that I don't even play much Skyrim anymore, since Beth watered and dumbed it down so much. So I'm patiently waiting for modders to finish Beth's job. As is vanilla Skyrim is worse than Oblivion IMO.

I bought my system specifically for this game. I spent over 2500 dollars on it. The game has huge potential.

I'd say you spent over 1500 dollars too much.

Actually I built it myself and its pretty Bad ass.

For 2500, it better be. I'm just saying, if you bought it exclusively for Skyrim, you didn't need all of that.