We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Packing textures into BSAs

RyanBurnsRed

Is it possible to package texture mods like Skyrim HD into BSA format myself?

I'm not familiar at all with BSA, but if it is anything like Fallout 4's BA2 format then it should cut down on disk space andd improve loading times and performance right?

Also right now I'm using the official HD DLC along with Skyrim HD. I know that the loose files of Skyrim HD override the official HD textures, but Skyrim reads from top to bottom so in terms of load order how will this work?

It is possible to pack textures into a BSA, but it does require a plugin for the game to read it. For me, disk space is essentially the same, and if there is a performance impact in either direction it's not noticeable. The primary advantage is the convenience of all your files being grouped together and separate from all the other game assets. This makes installation and uninstallation easier for most. This might be a moot point depending on your mod manager, but I personally prefer it.

In regards to priority, loose files override files packed in a BSA regardless of load order. If they're both packed into BSA's, load order determines override priority.