I made a race mod

Doodlecute

Hello all. I made a race mod and wanted to post it but I have a few questions. First, how do I take screen shots? I want to have at least a few so people can decide if they like it. Second, I use Robert's male body replacer & HGEC. I have them both set to allow nudity but I know they have underwear options. So since I made it in my game will this contain nudity automatically or will it be dependent on individual settings? Lastly, I made the textures using pieces of other textures made by another modder. I sent a request asking if this was okay but never heard back from them. Is it okay to post this as long as I still give them credit? or should I hold off?

Okay that's fine. I realized today I need to edit those parts out anyway because, while they work well for me, that's only because I have the mod those parts come from installed. If you don't have them installed my mod doesn't work as well. So I'm editing them out to make it more universal. But what about my other two questions? Once its edited I still need to know those.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the screenshots, I learned today that the way to make Oblivion allow you to take screenshots is to go to the Oblivion.ini file. You can find it in the folder Documents/MyGames/Oblivion. Once you are there, it is highly recommendable that you make a safe-copy of the Oblivion.ini file. Then enter in the file, find the AllowScrenShots == 0 line and change the 0 for a 1; that is, transform it from false to true. Once you done that, you can take a screenshot.

I noticed that this wont work anyway if you open the Oblivion with Oblivion Script Extender (Obse_loader.exe), so if you're using that program and want to take a screenshot just open the game from the typical Oblivion.exe file. Once in the game, just press ImpanPetSis, the key just above "Insert" and "Supr". The screenshots will be saved in your game directory with a .bmp extension.

Good luck.

And regarding the body mod questions, races do not and cannot define their bodies. People will be required to have the same body mods you're using, or your race's textures won't look right on their's. Whether they use the nude or underwear-ed options of their respective body mods is also up to them and cannot be affected by your race alone.

You're at most only providing skin textures and maybe a head or tail and/or cosmetics with your race, everything else is race-independent and cannot be changed by your mod. Noticed the "Race" dialog in the CS doesn't have any fields or options for bodies or body parts apart from those two? That's why. Bodies are 1 for all races in this game, and this can only be circumvented by scripting means (OBSE, Blockhead) or "wearing" a different body as a clothing item (your body comes with your clothes also, that's what Stock Clothing and Armor Replacers for/from body mods are for).

People can complain all they want about your skin textures being nude. The underwear or not option comes from the meshes they selected when they installed their body mods, which your race mod cannot change (unless by using scripted overrides, like I said).

Oh, and, OBSE alone is very unlikely to be the cause for screenshots no longer working the traditional way. There must another OBSE-dependent mod in use introducing these changes, which will also not run anymore when the game's run without OBSE, creating the illusion OBSE itself would be to blame. But the Script Extender itself does not introduce any immediately noticeable changes on its own. And it blocking your screen shooting ability is the first time I hear about and not the case in my installation.

And if you're using any OBSE-dependent mods in your game, starting it without them in order to take screenshots will at best disables their effects, which might as well be something you want to screen shoot along, and at worst make it so your game won't start anymore or crash on launch, depending on the type of mods you're using and what's already stored inside your savegame. (You can't load a savegame without crashing where you're a certain custom race, if you start the game without the mod introducing said race, for example. The same goes for certain OBSE plugins.)

For what it's worth, if you're using Oblivion Reloaded (OR for short) for instance, it will introduce its very own mechanism for screen shooting, the old key "Print Screen" then won't work anymore (check your OR settings what the new key will be), but you'll also be able to automatically remove the UI from your shots, if you want it to, and it can store into different file formats than the game's default BMP... among other useful features.