New Troll Race

ALittleBird

I had this very same problem when I tried to make a giant follower. Nobody on the forums could tell me how to fix the problem.

I eventually used a dirty solution which was not following best modding practices. I edited the entire race to Allow PC Dialog. Then I made a new FormID for my specific creature that belonged to the edited vanilla race. He was visible and worked fine. I rationalized that almost no one ever talks to standard giants because they always attack before you get that close, so people would not complain of giants having nothing no dialog topics. The other problem with this approach would be mod conflicts with other mods that edit the characteristics of giants.

So if no other solution is presented to you, you might think about editing the vanilla Troll race to Allow PC Dialog.

Edited by David Brasher

I don't know if you figured this out already, sorry if you have.

you made a new race, your problem is in the ARMA ("Armor Add-on's") records for the troll skin, which should be "NakedCaveTrollAA" you need to highlight an "additional race" for your new race you created.

Then in Armor for the skin "SkinTroll" you need to make sure the right Armor AddOn is showing in the model list.

Even with looking again, I hope am remembering all this correctly. :smile:

Learned this making my Wolf Companion Race.

Hope this was at least some help to you.

Thanks, I'll try that out.

EDIT: Thank you very much, that solved the invisibility problem. Now trying to get the dialogue and everything right, maybe build a little quest around him, and done! :)

SECOND EDIT: The only dialogue I get with him is the 'I don't need you anymore' dialogue, but not the rest. But when I talk to him, and press Tab before really saying anything, he follows me.

THIRD EDIT: I got it to work by removing the 'GetActorValue' condition, don't know if this is right? But the Wait command doesn't work, he only waits for a little bit and then follows me.

Edited by ALittleBird

Thanks, I'll try that out.

EDIT: Thank you very much, that solved the invisibility problem. Now trying to get the dialogue and everything right, maybe build a little quest around him, and done! :)

SECOND EDIT: The only dialogue I get with him is the 'I don't need you anymore' dialogue, but not the rest. But when I talk to him, and press Tab before really saying anything, he follows me.

THIRD EDIT: I got it to work by removing the 'GetActorValue' condition, don't know if this is right? But the Wait command doesn't work, he only waits for a little bit and then follows me.

your welcome. :smile:

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite certain what your talking about... you removed that condition on what?

Maybe if you got him working like one of the Follower Dogs first, then you could build off that?

You could add a new condition to check for your new race on the quests for the dogs pretty easily, that might get ya started.

There are also conditions for the actual dialog set by voicetype (at least for the dogs)

I made a new DialogueFollower quest, just for the Troll, and copied the data from the original DialogueFollower quest. At the FollowerFollow and FollowerWait dialogue topics, there is a GetActorValue 'WaitingForPlayer' = 1 condition, and that's what I removed. You get it? :P

But I think my problem has to do with the little script fragments you have to make at each dialogue response form the follower, to actually make him wait or follow. I just copied those from the Stray Dog follower.

Edited by ALittleBird