Populating a scratch made structure with NPCs

TheWideMurloc

Sooo let's just say I spent my past couple weeks building a large space ship floating above sanctuary...well, I say floating, but it's really attached to a giant elevator as if docked with it...Anyhoo let's say something like that was built waay up above sanctuary. Pretty cool right? well How could I make it cooler? Well it would be pretty sweet if I could move sanctuary's NPCs up there to "man the ship".

How would I go about doing that, if it's even possible?

There's no way to make settlers stay in a specific area and they will appear in dumb, undesired places (rooftops, middle of ponds, standing on top of a tree, etc) no matter what you do, but they do have some coding to interact with sandbox features so you can dramatically increase their chances of showing up in the places you want them to show up. They like to hang out near restaurants, for example, so put one of those up there. During working hours, they'll be wherever their job is, so make sure that their crops, guard station, shop or whatever is onboard the ship. Placing more idle objects (chairs, animations, etc) up there will increase the likehood that sandboxing will take them aboard the ship, likewise, *removing* idle objects from the ground will help discourage them from leaving the ship.

If you really, *really* wanted to have settlers only appear inside of your ship, you probably would have needed to use something like Conquest or Basement Living to make the interior of your ship a completely separate settlement.

Edited by TheSpaceShuttleChallenger

well, there IS a cantina on the ship, so maybe once it's assigned to an NPC more will come.

I've generally found that 2 things are like catnip to settlers - a Vault Tec slot machine and a gymnasium. At my current Egret Tours Marina I installed a gymnasium on the second floor and the bar hardly does any business because the gym is so well used.