Really annoying texture/UV issue

TheRealMissAmber

Hey guys I'm making a mod using blender 2.7 and nifskope 2.0.4 and I'm having a hard time. IV done this kind of thing before for skyrim and fallout NV with no issues at all.

Okay so I made my mesh, triangulated, removed doubles and marked seams then unwrapped. I had a custom .DDS texture already made I went to UV edit and translated accordingly. I had the material very basic so it does have material. Afterwords I exported to .obj, went to nifskope and imported. I went down to NiSourceTexture and set my texture. That's the problem. It did not adher to the UV layout I set. Instead I had the texture I chose all random. So I decompiled a shield from oblivion through nifskope and imported the .obj into blender thinking it may be one of the 2 programs. Made a few changes to the shield re unwrapped it and exported then imported to nif. The texture was off because I reunwrapped and didn't retranslate but it was not all random. So I went back to blender and put seams on the start up cube unwrapped assigned a texture and exported went to nifskope and it was random again. It's really annoying. I have been working on fixing this for 3 day and I don't know what I did wrong.

Hmm, this is way out of my league to diagnose from pictures alone, but one thing's immediately popping up, I see no "NiExtraData - TangentSpace" (name from memory, likely wrong) inside your "NiTriShape" branch, most likely because it's imported from OBJ instead of exported into NIF with the Blender NIFScripts (likely incompatible to your version of Blender as well), while if readings are correct, the Tangent Space is crucial for UV maps to work.

Did you try "Spells > Batch > Update all tangent spaces" already by chance to see if it can also add one?

Just guessing though. Not much else here to go by.

edit: Oh, but for reference, for Oblivion we (well, at least it was "we" several years ago) usually use Blender v2.49b with the NIFTools.org Blender NIFScripts for im- and export from and to NIF directly. The OBJ workaround was only necessary for those later games with different NIF structures and/or people using newer versions of Blender. (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/12248)

Hey Drake that you for your response. But I found a work around. I just went and grabbed blender niff scripts to avoid using .obj format all together. When I opened UV edit of that mesh the layout was a nightmare and not how I placed it and that was the .blend file not obj but after exporting in .nif the texture exported correctly and imported in to nifskope perfectly. Will make it a lot easier to copy and paste branches from one nif to another I do believe. Thanks you rock