Advice on using Terminal menu for multi-level settings menu

SMB92

Hi folks,

Decided to post and see if anyone is willing to help me in understanding and creating large scale, multi-level menu system out of the Terminal Menu for a settings holotape. I continue to study into it as well.

So what I need to do is basically access and set variables on many instances of scripts, which are attached to quests. One of the problems I have been having trouble understanding is how to display different texts in the terminal, based on what values are currently stored on said scripts. So for example I would like to display the current value of the variable as well as show/hide options based on other variables. I have a problem with the Terminal Menu though, as opposed to MessageBox SWF menu where I can pass in parameters and display simple Ints, these menus require what seems to be quite fancy methods to do what I want.

I can't really use Conditional scripts, because of the way things are setup, so conditions system is kinda out the door. Unless I'm understanding the whole idea of Conditional scripts wrong, I have many other things going on in the script, its not just purely for conditions, and it would be painful to setup a conditional script just to store a copy of said settings for menu use.

So ideally, I'd like to be able to display ON or OFF for some bools that are true or false, display the current Int or Float Value of a variable, have different menu options appear based on some variables current setting.

This is just the jist of it, if anyone has experience with these menus I'd much appreciate some advice. I know I am being vague on the details of the mod in question, it's for the Spawns of the Commonwealth mod which I am building to replace WOTC. I can do what I want with the MessageBox menus but users have expressed they'd like a holotape menu, and that I shouldn't use MCM for dependency reason which I am actually inclined to agree.

Thanks for any input.

I just use Global variables (1/0 for bool) for all menu work because its simple and easy, example I am working on right now:

Item Text: Spawn distance NEAR [make medium]
Papyrus Fragment: pSKK_SpawnDistance.SetValue(2)
Item Conditions: GetGlobalValue "SKK_SpawnDistance" == 1

Item Text: Spawn distance MEDIUM [make far]
Papyrus Fragment: pSKK_SpawnDistance.SetValue(3)
Item Conditions: GetGlobalValue "SKK_SpawnDistance" == 2

Item Text: Spawn distance FAR [make near]
Papyrus Fragment: pSKK_SpawnDistance.SetValue(1)
Item Conditions: GetGlobalValue "SKK_SpawnDistance" == 3

You can display values and other configurable information using string replacement tokens. However it requires that the holotape be used in an actual terminal and not the pip boy.

I've not dealt with it much because of the requirement to use a terminal but the script testJoelTerminalStringReplacer and https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=AddTextReplacementData_-_ObjectReference might be of help to figure it out. A point of note, when using AddTextReplacementData it's typically done in a fragment for the terminal and will affect all terminal views from that tape. Not just the current level.

For the "On"/"Off" for bools you'd need to script it with if's and 2 different messages to show "On" or "Off" instead.

Edited by BigAndFlabby

You can display values and other configurable information using string replacement tokens. However it requires that the holotape be used in an actual terminal and not the pip boy.

Â

I've not dealt with it much because of the requirement to use a terminal but the script testJoelTerminalStringReplacer and https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=AddTextReplacementData_-_ObjectReference might be of help to figure it out. A point of note, when using AddTextReplacementData it's typically done in a fragment for the terminal and will affect all terminal views from that tape. Not just the current level.

Â

For the "On"/"Off" for bools you'd need to script it with if's and 2 different messages to show "On" or "Off" instead.

Hey fancy meeting you here :D

When I seen that post about the Pipboy, I figured that was the end of that story. Not much point to it now. Well the regular messagebox system it is, with 1s and 0s :/

@SKK,thanks for the reply. You working on some kind of spawn mod as well?

@SMB92 yes on demand hostile battle spawns. Early version here although most of the interest is from the xbox community on beth.net

Oh cool, sounds like fun. Here's a link to ur Discord, maybe we can swap pointers or something :D https://discord.gg/np64PMu

Mine works with static points placed around the world, or will work like that once I get back to the stage of actually pointing points on the map, the menu is doing my head in :D