NMM...It did it again?

SirTrijj

Why is NMM not letting me re-scan when I switch between Skyrim and Skyrim SE? I wish I could show u the error message but I can't "copy" it or move it to Notepad. Something about Unrecognized Game Mode....NMM not set up for Special Edition. I've uninstalled SE just to get back to Skyrim. It's not even on my System anymore. I wound up even uninstalling Skyrim and it's not on my System anymore. And I'm still getting this error. How am I suppose to go back in and change Game Mode when NMM won't let me in. Good grief...how difficult do things have to be.

Actual order to do things:

1st. Go Here --> C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager <-- and delete skyrim and special edition folders, including everything in them

2. install skyrim or Special edition (or both if you ovbiously want them both)

3. run the skyrim or special edition launcher at least once (again both if you want them both setup for nmm), and select a preset (this creates the skyrim.ini, skyrimprefs.ini files, and rendererinfo.txt document i believe.)

4. launch the game, until you get to the options menu then close it

5. run nexus mod manager again and it should now scan for files, if so, click cancel scan, and click on the ticks that shows up along side either skyrim or special edition (or both if their both installed) and you should be good to go, if the tick for either does not show, then change the file paths for them to their current file paths

Note: if you can get into either game, click on the Little Downwards Pointing Arrow(which is on the same icon as the Big Blue Arrow( - (located on right hand side of the screen in nmm) - and on the menu, click on Rescan Installed Games, this will then load the Scanning for Games Window again, where you can setup nmm for your other games (in this example the other skyrim)

Edited by Guest

If you delete Skyrim and SSE folders in C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager you will lose all your mods, if you have any. This is where NMM keeps you mods by default, you will have to download and install all your mods again. These folders should have no effect on whether NMM can detect your game or not.

I would go to My Documents\My Games\ where you will find folders for Skyrim and SSE and delete the ini and prefs ini for both games. When you uninstall games on Steam by deleting local content it does not delete these files, you can also delete your saves at the same time if you are going to start a new game, which would be advised.

After reinstalling both games you only have to launch the game through the Steam launcher. You will get the message about detecting your video settings, Ultra, High etc. Go to "Options" and set up that game to your preference then exit. This will recreate those ini files you deleted.

You should be able to open NMM, do not click on any game just go to the bottom of the window and click on "Rescan Installed Games"

This will bring up all the games that NMM recognizes and you will see NMM searching for those games. Click on the red cross for games you do not have installed and the green ones for games you have installed, after checking to see if the path for the games you have installed is the correct path. You must make sure that all the games are checked , either red for games you do not have or green for games you do before NMM will stop searching for games. Once this has been done NMM wil stop searching for games and you can go to the bottom of the window and click OK.

If NMM has stopped searching on a game you have and it is the incorrect path to that game click on the red button instead of the green one to tell it to keep searching for the correct path to that game.

Thank you for providing all this information. It got more involved than I ever imagined. problem has been solved. There were left-over files (2 of them) that my manual uninstall did not get. I managed somehow to find the NMM uninstall.exe and that fixed my issue. Thanx again.

I am glad you got the issue resolved. For future reference I would google How to make Skyrim vanilla again, or words to that effect. There are a number of guides out there to make this game vanilla although you probably should use SSE instead of Skyrim. With the addition of CC I am not sure how valid the oldrim guides would be when applied to SSE.

What many people do not seem to understand is that when you use Delete Local Content that is all you will do. There will be many files left behind by SSE, Steam, and your mod organizer whether MO or NMM which still may effect you game.

Anyway, enjoy.

Sorry, I thought I was in the SSE forum. Just substitute Skyrim for SSE.