Geforce gtx 1050 ti single fan vs 1060 single fan

I am looking in to buying a 1060 but i heard from a friend that the fan on the 1060 is horrible and gets up to 80 degrees and stops working after a month or so.

Is this true and if it is, is my 1050 single fan better than the 1060 fan or am i better off upgrading?

It all depends on which version you get, the founders/reference edition is probably set to a fan-curve that keeps it at around 80c.

I have not heard about them failing at all.

Blower style coolers are usually a little louder but they work better in a case with restricted airflow

Which 1060 do you plan on buying?

Edited by Erik005

I'm assuming that you're talking about the EVGA Single Fan aftermarket coolers.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Single Fan & and the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan GPU's will run at 80C. The same should apply to the Zotac Mini Single Fan and MSI Aero Single Fan GTX 1060 GPU's as well. The GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti are very lower power cards, they do not draw a lot of power (I believe that they top out at 75W). For any mainstream GPU - you should get a card with at least two fans for adequate cooling. With a custom fan curve you may be able to get the single fan cards to run cooler, but they would become considerably louder.

As for GPU's wearing out due to high heat, that is possible. GPU's do have thermal protection that stops them from overheating and "frying". They'd simply shut down before that happens. However, if they are always running at high heat (not shutting down - just running hot) then over time they will wear out. The single fan cards, due to their smaller size, simply do not have the proper heatsinks to keep these cards cool while under heavy load.

With that said, I do not think that the GTX 1060 6GB is a good upgrade coming from a GTX 1050 Ti. If you want to upgrade from a GTX 1050 Ti - then go for at least a GTX 1070.

To also make something clear, the GTX 1060 is a better GPU than the GTX 1050 Ti. It's quite a bit better, however, it is not as generous of an upgrade as you should give yourself. You might want to wait until Volta comes out though (which should be sometime next year).

I'm assuming that you're talking about the EVGA Single Fan aftermarket coolers.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Single Fan & and the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan GPU's will run at 80C. The same should apply to the Zotac Mini Single Fan and MSI Aero Single Fan GTX 1060 GPU's as well. The GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti are very lower power cards, they do not draw a lot of power (I believe that they top out at 75W). For any mainstream GPU - you should get a card with at least two fans for adequate cooling. With a custom fan curve you may be able to get the single fan cards to run cooler, but they would become considerably louder.

As for GPU's wearing out due to high heat, that is possible. GPU's do have thermal protection that stops them from overheating and "frying". They'd simply shut down before that happens. However, if they are always running at high heat (not shutting down - just running hot) then over time they will wear out. The single fan cards, due to their smaller size, simply do not have the proper heatsinks to keep these cards cool while under heavy load.

With that said, I do not think that the GTX 1060 6GB is a good upgrade coming from a GTX 1050 Ti. If you want to upgrade from a GTX 1050 Ti - then go for at least a GTX 1070.

To also make something clear, the GTX 1060 is a better GPU than the GTX 1050 Ti. It's quite a bit better, however, it is not as generous of an upgrade as you should give yourself. You might want to wait until Volta comes out though (which should be sometime next year).

Sadly last I heard volta won't be the next generation, nvidia will refresh the current generation simply because there is no competition.

Also 80c is nothing for a graphics card I've got an old HD6990 here that does 100c all day, if I get cold I just run a couple of benchmarks on it.

Sadly last I heard volta won't be the next generation, nvidia will refresh the current generation simply because there is no competition.

Also 80c is nothing for a graphics card I've got an old HD6990 here that does 100c all day, if I get cold I just run a couple of benchmarks on it.

That's disappointing to hear about Volta. I know that GPU's can handle large amount of heat. However, I do firmly believe you shouldn't be operating them at those temperatures all of the time if you care about the longevity of your components. The fact that your old GPU rand at 100C's all day is fairly concerning as well, as that is abnormally hot. Did you have any case fans installed at all? I'm mildly curious what sort of conditions you need to have in order to reach temperatures that high. I

That's disappointing to hear about Volta. I know that GPU's can handle large amount of heat. However, I do firmly believe you shouldn't be operating them at those temperatures all of the time if you care about the longevity of your components. The fact that your old GPU rand at 100C's all day is fairly concerning as well, as that is abnormally hot. Did you have any case fans installed at all? I'm mildly curious what sort of conditions you need to have in order to reach temperatures that high. I

The 6990 is an AMD dual GPU card, I run it at the fully unlocked mode. The card pulls over 450watts in this mode.

It runs on my open test-bench which doesn't help and it has had the original special TIM removed by the previous owner.

I just checked I also have a 6990 that is in way better condition at this only gets to 85c. I guess the other one is in even worse condition than I thought

My 4870x2 gets hotter although it could use a little tlc. I also have an 5970 but I haven't tested it properly yet.

I am a graphics card hoarder.

Edited by Erik005

The 6990 is an AMD dual GPU card, I run it at the fully unlocked mode. The card pulls over 450watts in this mode.

It runs on my open test-bench which doesn't help and it has had the original special TIM removed by the previous owner.

I just checked I also have a 6990 that is in way better condition at this only gets to 85c. I guess the other one is in even worse condition than I thought

My 4870x2 gets hotter although it could use a little tlc. I also have an 5970 but I haven't tested it properly yet.

I am a graphics card hoarder.

You might want to clean the GPU and replace the thermal paste. That should do a lot of good for that GPU. There is a YouTube channel called TechYesCity that shows a really in-depth process on cleaning GPU's. I probably wouldn't do it as I'd be worried about breaking it, but in your unique case (having multiple GPU's just laying around) you may be adventurous enough to give it a try. I'll leave both videos he has on the topic here in this post.

How to Clean your PC parts TechYesCity Style:

PC Parts RESTORATION - How I CLEANSE - Ft. Before and After Temps

The gigabyte 1060 I put in pc I built over the last week (or at least feels like a week, might only be 5 days or so hehe) for a friend tried to get up to 86deg or so without overclock, was like oh hell no you don't !..

I think it's just nvidia / manufacturers pretending their cards don't make a noise.. 86-90deg usually means there is thermal throttling to keep it cool, to fix it all ya need to do is set a manual automatic fan curve in something like afterburner where it is 100% fan at 75deg, a kind of sculped out curve before it gets to that. Like J shape I guess.

Doing that will let you overclock 1060 untill the green pixies try and visit etc without it getting above 65deg or so, and to get to that it should only be using 50% (instead of the maximum 40% I guess they use) fan speed :smile:

here is a pic of the kind of fan curve I am talking about... oG4GbcD.jpg

Sorry f it is blurry, but hmm.. those giant drops in GPU usage is basically because the slightly low overclock I have applied has forced the card to basically reset and then try and continue to keep pc running.. results in long delays while it reboots etc, so please don't use that value as an example of what is right haha.. for this card +110 seems to be fine :smile:

One of the biggest changes you can make (besides a fan curve and increasing the power limit) is to go into nvidia control panel, then under "Manage 3d settings" where it says prefer "Power Management Mode" set it to adaptive instead of maximum power / whatever the default is and you should be golden :smile:

Edited by spookymunky

This is maybe a clearer picture of how I have setup fan curve, and actually stable power and clock limits for this card hehe...

32PhKoK.jpg

I think the drops when I go too high core clock wise in the first pic is purely power limit / voltage limit... I could enable core voltage adjustments in the settings then add a few mV to smooth that out, something I would do if it was my own card... it just seems mean when it is for someone else though :D