Goodbye Preston

Stronglav

You can, of course, once you get far enough in the game, send Preston elsewhere, when you dismiss him as a companion. You could, of course, just ignore Concord forever, and do everything else without him. One even better, go to Nuka World, and force all settlements to supply the raiders, and then grab him after you taken over, or defeated the Institute.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can, of course, once you get far enough in the game, send Preston elsewhere, when you dismiss him as a companion. You could, of course, just ignore Concord forever, and do everything else without him. One even better, go to Nuka World, and force all settlements to supply the raiders, and then grab him after you taken over, or defeated the Institute.

I wonder how far into the game you have to get to send him somewhere else. Despite his attractive perk, I didn't take him as a companion this time around (no freakin' way) and don't foresee ever doing that so I hope that has nothing to do with it. I just finished NW for the second time and, for whatever reason, started taking a bit of a shine to Nisha and Mags which got me wondering about avoiding Preston by doing a Raider playthrough of that DLC relatively early in the game. But the more I read about Raider settlements, the more it seems they need even more attention than normal ones. (I find the current settlements to be enough of a PITA.) And it seems you don't have any control over a raider settlement's population. (With a couple exceptions, I like keeping my settlements relatively small.)

I believe until you meet another companion you want more than Preston. You could even swap him for Codsworth, if you really want to. He doesn't have to stay your companion for long.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading all the Preston threads here always makes me wonder... BGS doesn't seem to be very good at getting hints.

In Morrowind we had Fargoth, in Oblivion the adoring fan, in Fallout 3 Moira and Sticky, in Skyrim they gave us Heimskr, Nazeem, Jarl Ballin's brats and the arrow-to-the-knee guards and in Fallout 4 they gifted us Preston and the whole Brady bunch from the Museum. At some point all of them (minus Sturges) have become memes.

Somebody needs to tell them that it's not necessarily a good thing if npcs become memes, because in 9 out of 10 cases they do so because they annoy the crap out of people.

I believe until you meet another companion you want more than Preston. You could even swap him for Codsworth, if you really want to. He doesn't have to stay your companion for long.

It's not about him being a companion.

Moira was funny and gave you unique hilarious quests :wink: And only when you came to her to talk...Preston is so annoying mostly because he does not feel like he has a personality...He is a function to spam you with radiant stuff that many people generally dislike. He has no other interests and no sense of humour. I like FO4 in many ways..But it really lacks some sense of humour and courage that the previous one had.

Edited by kitcat81

Moira was funny and gave you unique hilarious quests :wink: And only when you came to her to talk...Preston is so annoying mostly because he does not feel like he has a personality...He is a function to spam you with radiant stuff that many people generally dislike. He has no other interests and no sense of humour. I like FO4 in many ways..But it really lacks some sense of humour and courage that the previous one had.

Yeah, I agree - in retrospect Moira was a million times better than Preston. Her integration into the game lore is quite good, compared to Preston's and I liked her for that. Back then many people didn't seem to like Moira because she essentially is a McGuffin NPC with the sole purpose of generating map markers. Still better than the Skyrim guards who would randomly drop remarks about places you shouldn't visit because of some random danger. Even worse, they start talking and you'd still get a map marker even if you don't stop and listen to their ramblings...

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that BGS seems to ramp up their favourite "game" with every new title. I honestly expect to see even more shallow NPCs and story telling in the next title. Oh, and maybe they make my worst nightmare come true and give us a forced companion that we have to drag with us throughout the whole game Bioshock Infinite style (only worse, because Bethesda) for even more handholding? I mean - according to the amount of companion mods on the nexus, people really seem to like them, right?

Edited by metaphorset

Bethesda, oh how I love thee, let me count the ways.... Oh wait, I'd rather take an arrow to the knee than do that. Okay, meme out of the way, I seriously think that Bethesda needs new writers, or bring back Bioware, and their writers, to plan their next games. Of course with TEO, then next TES game might take some time to come out. They could churn out another dismal game like Fallout 4. Or even a game similar to Prey. Want to talk about major annoyances from NPC's, Prey is almost just as bad as Fallout 4 and Preston Garvey. It can be toss up as to which is worse. At least with Prey the NPC's have some personality to them, and decent writing. Fallout 4, bad writing from the start, and the dialogue choices are non-existent, at best. If I were made a general of a militia group, I would not be going to some podunk little shanty in the back of no where, to go kill some raiders, mutants, or zombies. I would go there, talk to the people, the radio in to say we need to have this place taken care of. so these people can join our group, and help make it bigger, and able to handle even more jobs. You need help from us? Well, you will get help, and we aim to do our best. Of course, somethings we would have to be present for, at the very least to help plan the assault on the place, or even to take care of the end boss, but it should not be me and my companion handling the mess you all got yourselves into.

• 1 month later...