Need help with a script!

PkSanTi

Hello, friends.

The title of the post is actually not really precise. I do not need help creating a script; I need help finding it!! See, I want to change Oblivion initial scene. Fundamentally, I want to improve the way you choose your race, sign and class. I wont say what I have in mind, 'cause it'd be spoiling it, but I need to find out wich script is the one that makes the SelectYourRace menu appear at the very beginning of Oblivion. I want it not to show! Does anybody know wich script does that, and how is it named?

If I recall correctly, every single step happening when you start a game and the prison cell and tutorial scene is running is controlled by the main "quest" quest line, not just a script.

If there is a script involved, it will also be referenced in the quest, so looking at the quest will also lead you to the script. But I think quest "stages" can have so-called "result scripts" as well, that is blocks of code that's executed when the stage is run, not to be found among the "scripts".

If I get the chance, I'll take a closer look again into the Oblivion.esm and the main quest line. Then I'll know more details. But I can't make any promises.

DrakeTheDragon,

thank you for answering my question. Actually, I looked every single part of those scripts; the only moment the ShowRaceMenu command appears is when you are about to leave the prision sewers, and you're asked if you want to change anything about your character. I researched a lot last night and found out that if I extracted the xml file that controls the RaceMenu, and edit it so it was blank and said nothing, the RaceMenu wouldn't appear at the beginning. So I unpacked the Misc.bsa file on the data folder of oblivion, found the .xml, edited it and replaced the original with it. It worked! But there's another problem now... (One step forward, two steps back, is what this is...)

See, I wanted the race menu to show in another moment, not at the very first moment. Now, erasing the content of the .xml file makes so it wont appear at the beginning just as much as it makes so it wont appear if I call it later, since the script function ShowRaceMenu has nothing to show! So... I didn't really solve my problem: I didn't cancel the race menu showing at the very beginning... I canceled the race menu itself!! :sad:

Edited by PkSanTi

What happens if you change the name of a copy of ShowRaceMenu.xml to ShowRaceMenu2.xml and then edit the orig ShowraceMenu.xml? Your script could then call for ShowRaceMenu2.xml.

Edited by Striker879

Striker879,

that's a fine idea. Now, excuse me for my ignorance, since I started scripting about one week and a half ago, but how could I make my ShowRaceMenu script call precisely the race_sex_menu2.xml?

EDIT: I'll just make my question more precise.

I ask this because the only script function there is for showing the race menu is ShowRaceMenu, wich refers to the race_sex_menu.xml file in the menu folder. How can I make a script function refer to a different file, when it seems to be preseted to refer to the original?

Edited by PkSanTi