I am an all powerful Wizard.

RexSeptim

Someone on one of these threads stated that custom spellmaking, via altar or otherwise, is difficult. I'm hoping that isn't so because I love to make my own spells. Since there haven't been any custom spellmaking mods yet, though lots of cool new spells, I'm losing hope on seeing custom spellmaking in the game.

However, I would like to request a mod that would allow me to at least change the names of spells. Please?

"Fortify Speed", for example, is descriptive, sure, but it's far from creative. I think a mage so powerful as to be able to manipulate arcane powers to make leg muscles twitch faster would also be creative enough to come up with a better name. My Oblivion/Morrowind name for that spell has been various things but often it was "Deception of Atalanta". If you read Greek mythology, you'll get the reference to a foot race. I imagine that my character is not really running faster, but rather that it seems so - an illusion, if you will. Sometimes I called it "Tempus Riven" with the idea that through arcane means, my character has riven time such that it's moving faster in his or her immediate vicinity. Giving things my own names that way enhances the spell wielding experience in my opinion. Imagine that all your spells have some sort of backstory you've imagined. This is just the same as naming your weapons and amulets and such after enchanting them.

New spell mods sometimes have some new names for some of the spells so is there a way to do this within the game as a mod? Any of you clever modders know of a way to do that?

Thanks for reading. I'll keep hoping.

Yes, you can easily go into the CK and go to the categories Spell, Ability etc and just edit them there.

By the way, while I agree "Fortify Speed" is a lame name, the "Gallaron's Abyssal Carnesphere" style of overly dramatic names are even more unrealistic. When you get magic down to a sufficiently exact science to give spells actual names, you would name them after how they work, not what they are meant to achieve.

Compare to real life scientific inventions.

Yes, you can easily go into the CK and go to the categories Spell, Ability etc and just edit them there.

By the way, while I agree "Fortify Speed" is a lame name, the "Gallaron's Abyssal Carnesphere" style of overly dramatic names are even more unrealistic. When you get magic down to a sufficiently exact science to give spells actual names, you would name them after how they work, not what they are meant to achieve.

Compare to real life scientific inventions.

You are still young in the ways of a mage, lad.

Names of techniques and magic are always given an original name by their discoverer alongside their specific name... as well as there are hundreds of variating names given to the technique by its current users...

as such specific name 'Fortify Speed' original name 'Haste' could be named differently by the mage using it example 'Tempus Riven'... the reasons are simple: for each ability, spell aso there are counters... and if every mage used the original or the specific as an incantation it would be easy to counter and the match would become a 'counter ability' bet on who has the most Ki or Mana... if there are different names the 'seen' form might be the only thing giving away the specific strategy to counter... yet that is deceptive as there are many techniques looking the same yet having different attributes... as an example one might want to take the very popular firemagic... there is magical fire, natural fire, cursed fire, dragon fire, phoenix fire, fire burning fire 'godfire', aso...

With original names the fights between mages (from the ranger to the knight to the wizard to the mesmer (and every class in between)) become fights of the unknown and affords courage, wit and luck alongside technique and power for victory

and last but not least there are certain people who fight better with their original technique-names...

Well I had no thought this new thread would prompt a philosophical discussion of the arcane. But it is certainly interesting to consider spells beyond the utility and fun of zapping some monster within the game. Ever read "Liminal Bridges"? Now some author had a fit of imagination to come up with that!

I agree with the idea of naming a spell based on the idea of how a spell works. Tempus Riven is such a name. But then some of the spell names I've used were, I'll admit, named more for funtion and result. I had one I called "Wicked Lick". I had a mod in Oblivion that let me make a fireball as large as 300 feet. So I made such a fireball spell but with little damage so I could use it at will - low magicka cost. The point wasn't to kill anything, it was really to just anger whoever was around when I threw that out there. Rather wicked of me, I thought.

As for spell counters, that's another spell mod I'd love to see. Wouldn't it be something if I could counter a fireball coming at me with a specific counter like, say, a wall of ice? Or, with the now forgotten Mysticism school of magic (which should be brought back!), I might could recreate my old spell "Parabolic Intentioner". That one, I imagined, worked by redirecting the intentions of the mage casting something at me along a parabula such that it was aimed right back at them. It was always very magicka intensive and subject to precise timing but such fun when it worked. Of course, it was really just the stock Reflect Spell spell, or whatever booooooring name it came with. I think Reflect Spell is in the game now but it just isn't the same without Mysticism.

As to the suggestion of using the CK to rename the spells, thanks for that, but a cyber illiterate like myself finds that learning curve just too steep. Much better to plead my case before the Nexus in hopes that someone proficient in the ways of computers might take pity upon me. I'm not kidding when I tell you I'm quite proud of myself for figuring out how to post on this Nexus. My talents run more toward tangible things such as wood and sawdust and things I can build and hold in my hands. I do love my adventures in Skyrim but I'm no code modifier, CK or otherwise. It was two frustrating months of wrestling with Wrye Bash back when I set myself to modifying Oblivion. I'm not eager to descend into that madness again. Yeah, I got it to work but I had no idea then and none now why it finally worked the last try but none of the previous tries. Sheogorath is hiding in my computer. I'll not tempt him again!