Oblivion Crashes On New Game

Xamrin

Please let us know if erasing the Menu files help. You'll probably have to erase the whole mod too, since it wont work without the menu files. Let Oblivion work with the default ones and see if it works. I tried to make an alternative beginning mod once and it crashed on new game; it was because of me tweaking the CharGen menus. So... I want to believe that's it :/

If Pk's suggestion doesn't fix things all I can suggest is to start out with a completely vanilla re-install and install one mod at a time and test thoroughly in between.

When you add one mod to a working game and then it breaks knowing where to start troubleshooting becomes a trivial task.

I'm in Oblivion\Data\menus right now. There is no CharGen.

Theres:

• main
  • prefabs
  • levelup_menu_DarkUIdDarN.xml
  • levelup_menu_DarN.xml
  • levelup_menu_Vanilla.xml

So strange... This means no mod tweaks with your CharGen menus; you're currently using the default one. But that's nearly impossible, since I have DarnifiedUI too and it does tweak the CharGen menus; actually, I'm seeing at my race_sex_menu.xml files by DarnifiedUI right now :/ So... the problem could actually be you missing the race_sex_menu.xml file that DarNUI installs, causing the mod not knowing what to read on new game and the eventual crash. I'd recommend to erase the whole menus folder and everything related to DarnUI. It could be an issue with DarNUI trying to read the CharGen folder, which for some reason you don't have. I really hope this works; else, I'd really wouldn't know.

If you want the opposite way, instead of erasing the mod 'cause its missing those files, install them. Probably reinstalling the mods should work. Because you should have the CharGen Folder DarNUI creates.

Aaarrrghhh! This is personal already.

Well, apparently is not an .xml file problem. Do you create mods? Did you touch any script in the game?

EDIT: Perhaps Striker879's solution is the quickest way to go... To do another diagnose on your game would take more time I think. It's up to you.

Edited by PkSanTi

So it's not likely that in the process of creating your mod, you touched the CharGen script. Soooooo.... we're in the dark again :sad:

As I said, maybe Striker's idea is better now. You'll keep your saves. I'm running out of ideas... :/

I guess... I've stopped counting how many times I've been forced to reinstall this game.