General Modding Questions

ToughPuppy

Hello, I have a few general and one specific modding questions.

I want a message to show and a quest to begin when I enter an interior cell, but unfortunately the script I am using does not fully work. Here it is currently:

scn MISHcsQO1SCRIPT

short doOnce
short doOOnce
short doOOOnce

Begin GameMode

if doOnce == 0 && Player.GetInCell PrimmNashResidence

ShowMessage MISHcsQ02NOTE01
setstage MISHcsQ01 10
set doOnce to 1

endIf

End

The quest starts but the message does not show. I have had a similar problem earlier when I tried to show a message as well as begin a quest when picking up an item. Again, the script worked except that no message box popped up. What am I doing wrong?

W/regards to my more general - and somewhat amateur - questions:

1. If the same entry is found numerous times in different plugins, does this affect performance in any way? For example, I have several mods in my load order which edit the Varmint Rifle. Since some of these mods may be updated, thereby removing any changes I made, I will copy the entry which is lowest in the load order into my Merged Patch and make the necessary tweaks there. Is this a good thing to do?

2. If a plugin is removed from the load order or moved around, could this possible mess up any references related to that mod? For instance, if I add ammunition from CaliberX to a cell/list/container from another plugin and then move the plugin higher or lower or, alternatively, if a plugin before it gets removed, would this create an <unresolved error> in xEdit for all the added ammunition entries?

3. Relating to question one, does anyone redo their merged patch if they add a new plugin or an existing plugin gets updated?

Thankyou for reading, and I hope I have made myself clear.

Tough Puppy *Paw Print*

*Paw Print*

Regarding your "general questions": Please see the 'Third Rule: The Rule of One', 'Smaller Plugin Cap', and 'Merge Patch file' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. Then you might want to look over the wiki "Merged Plugin Guidelines for Personal Use" article.

As I use Wrye Flash to build my "Bash Patch", I rebuild it every time I make ANY changes to my "load order". If you are manually creating your "Merged Patch" file, then you should whenever you make any changes to any plugins you included at a minimum, especially if you change their position in the "load order" or remove them. It is never a good idea to remove any plugin from your game unless you go back to a "save game" from before the point where you added it. This especially applies if it added scripts. Please see the "Clean Saves" section of wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

-Dubious-

I've read about problems with && and seen it advised frequently that in this engine a nested conditional statement would be better. Have you tried it that way? Is your quest definitely running? Have you tried using the SQV console command to see what's going on?

scn MISHcsQO1SCRIPT

short doOnce
short doOOnce
short doOOOnce

Begin GameMode

if Player.GetInCell PrimmNashResidence

if doOnce == 0

setstage MISHcsQ01 10
            set doOnce to 1

endif

endIf

End

Regarding your "general questions": Please see the 'Third Rule: The Rule of One', 'Smaller Plugin Cap', and 'Merge Patch file' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. Then you might want to look over the wiki "Merged Plugin Guidelines for Personal Use" article.

As I use Wrye Flash to build my "Bash Patch", I rebuild it every time I make ANY changes to my "load order". If you are manually creating your "Merged Patch" file, then you should whenever you make any changes to any plugins you included at a minimum, especially if you change their position in the "load order" or remove them. It is never a good idea to remove any plugin from your game unless you go back to a "save game" from before the point where you added it. This especially applies if it added scripts. Please see the "Clean Saves" section of wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

-Dubious-

Thankyou for the information, I will be sure to check it out. I've followed the F&L installation guide and so I have both a Bashed and a Merged patch. I actually meant to say 'Bashed Patch' w/regard to my 3rd point.

I've read about problems with && and seen it advised frequently that in this engine a nested conditional statement would be better. Have you tried it that way? Is your quest definitely running? Have you tried using the SQV console command to see what's going on?

scn MISHcsQO1SCRIPT

short doOnce
short doOOnce
short doOOOnce

Begin GameMode

if Player.GetInCell PrimmNashResidence

if doOnce == 0

setstage MISHcsQ01 10
            set doOnce to 1

endif

endIf

End

Thankyou for your help. I tried nesting but the message still doesn't show, and the quest does begin since it shows up in my Pipboy. I'll give the SVQ command a go when I get back home this evening.

Edited by ToughPuppy

Can you just use a trigger? It would be more efficient as the game wouldn't need to keep running this line of code, and it would be instant, as it would occur immediately on entering the trigger, whereas in this case, the default is your script updates every five seconds (which can be affected by frame rate, I've read), or more frequesntly if you set it otherwise, but this is a performance hit.

You could try OnLoad as well and use something in that cell.

Edited by EPDGaffney