Lucien Lachance doesn't wear the Black Hand Robe

BlackHole11

I know nobody reads readme files but sometimes it can be helpful. :laugh:

EBF has two types of engine modifications: fixes and patches. Fixes attempt to correct severe bugs in the code and should be enabled all the time unless there is a conflict with another OBSE plugin. Patches, on the other hand, change a part of the engine which I felt could be improved but others might disagree. In other words all patches are optional. Read the description for each patch and decide for yourself whether you want that modification or not. If not, just disable the patch. :cool:

What will happen if you were to disable the EvaluateEquipmentPatch? Well there is a good chance that you wouldn't even notice any difference (apart from Lucien's case). I made the patch mainly to solve the problem that many custom armors are 'full body' armors (using upper body, lower body, hand and foot slot) and actor's wearing these armors always slept in their armor because their 'sleep wear' clothing selection was canceled when the game choose one of these armors as the 'best' item for the hand or the foot slot thus overriding the previous choices for the upper and lower body slots. Lucien is a special case because a) he is SUPPOSED to wear the black hand robe despite (needlessly) having higher value clothing items in his inventory and b) him actually wearing the black hand robe in the game depends entirely on the fact that the robe uses the hand slot which, when selecting the robe as the 'best' item for the hands, replaces the previous selection for his shirt and trousers. I haven't heard any reports about other actors making unwanted equipment choices with the patch enabled so it's probably just Lucien.
But if don't use any fancy mod armors not using this patch is probably the easiest choice without 'losing' anything. As mentioned, I will exclude Lucien from the patch in the next version, so he will wear his robe even with the patch enabled.

I'm another one who has read your readme in the past yet somehow missed your reference to Lucien (just re-read that section of the readme). This goes right along with all the "Vilja won't wear such and such" or "Vilja keeps saying I'm naked when I'm wearing such and such" comments from Emma's mod page. The answer was always the same ... zero value items screwing up the works.

Never could understand the gameplay value added by zero value stuff.

Now if there was some way to get NPCs to not equip their armor when they go to bed and have a sleep package that includes unequip weapons and armor flag ...

(if you want an example of the stuff you need to do to get them to not equip armor before bedtime take a look at the scripting David Brasher needed to do with Olga Companion Mod)

Edited by Striker879

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using EngineBugFixes then this is a side effect of the EvaluateEquipmentPatch. You can check the readme file to see what the patch tries to do and why Lucien is a special case. We also talked about this problem in the comment section of EngineBugFixes.

Right now you have three options:

1) Remove the extra clothes in his inventory. He's never going to wear them anyway unless you remove the robe.

2) Give the black hand robe a proper value so equipment evaluation will not prefer his other clothes. A value of 50 should do.

3) If you don't want to modify anything and don't need the modified equipment evaluation behavior from the patch either then simply disable it by setting bInstallEvaluateEquipmentPatch to 0 in the ini file.

The next version of EBF will have an option the exclude specific actors from the patch and an entry for Lucien Lachance will be in the default ini file.

Hello,

For "2) Give the black hand robe a proper value so equipment evaluation will not prefer his other clothes. A value of 50 should do.", do I just add that on console I take it. If so what's the input please.

Looking at the UESP Wiki page Tes4Mod:Script Functions there is SetItemValue which accepts a single integer as a parameter. I've never tried it myself, but my guess is you'd need the refID of the item you wanted to change, not a simple thing to do with a clothing/armor item in game using the console.

The simple solution is to create a mod giving the Black Hand robe a proper value using the Construction Set.

Looking at the UESP Wiki page Tes4Mod:Script Functions there is SetItemValue which accepts a single integer as a parameter. I've never tried it myself, but my guess is you'd need the refID of the item you wanted to change, not a simple thing to do with a clothing/armor item in game using the console.

The simple solution is to create a mod giving the Black Hand robe a proper value using the Construction Set.

Ya I'm really good following instructions, but creating the mod seems a little intimidating lol. Btw what does bInstallEvaluateEquipmentPatch actually affect in terms of mods?

Edited by redadair21

According to Tiawar (the author of EngineBugFixes) it was meant to primarily affect custom armor that some mods add to the game that cover all of the slots, same as the Black Hand robe does. Read Tiawar's reply to Blackhole11 at the top of this page.