ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Sick of these topics

Rennn

There seems to be a neverending supply of people talking about how they're going to create a mod. Well, more accurately, they're going to feed the ideas for a mod to another modder, but that's totally helping, right? Nope.

Don't people understand that 'cooperating on a mod' is more than just 'I'll tell you what to do and you do it'? How many noobs are there who are willing to attempt (not too subtley) to manipulate a modder into making a mod request, under the guise of cooperation? I must've seen ten topics like this in the past couple days.

Note to those people:

Nobody will help you if you try to manipulate them.

This is an interesting observation.

I think it is more effective for the people offering modding help to say, "I am a new modder, but I know how to build X and will build all the X for this modding project. Unfortunately, I really don't know how to build Z. I need someone to build the Z in the mod that will go with my X."

You missed the one where someone just wanted to be in a group. he had no idea what the mod would be about and left that up to the team to decide. He just wanted to be part of a team creating something.

I do see allot of the mod requests pretend to be the mod leader people. Sunnie does good at catching and calling them out.

I would like to add my own note as an ex mod team leader, you never recruit by making a forum post saying you have this uber mod plan and need modders, experienced modders will not fall for that. you have parts of the mod built yourself then in a PM ask a modder if they would like to join the team or create a team to work on it. then once you have a team and all your plans for the mod? scrap them for what the team suggests as you are not the mod author anymore but another member. if the team moves away from your original vision, 9 times out of 10 the team is right.

Expect atleast a year of work before things get in order and ready for a proper release for a large scale mod. early releases and bug fix this and bug fix that while adding the new untested items will drive modders away. nobody enjoys working on something while at the same time some jackhandle is demanding them to fix something that wasn't ready to begin with.

Oh and the mod team leader gets the most tedious work involved. Any aspiring team leaders who never modded before and just wants a team to make it for them... imagine changing every E in Macbeth to an A manually with a pencil thats about what will be given to you to do.

I may not blend with the rest then. Since I learned about creation which is about a month ago, I've been researching it's features daily and how to make custom voices work, races, and create a whole custom game with its unique story. I've started 3D modeling my own stuff, llooked at 10+ tutorials on how to texturize them and import them into skyrim. At the moment, I have most things up to my standards, all I need is someone to tell me how to fix this one glitch for the dialogue. Other than that, I have the base starting point done and rest of the storyboard covered. But yea, I see where you're going. I've seen like 5 of those people and I was looking for people to make custom stuff with me and maybe form a team with me to make my mod develop faster and have more color added to them. But all 5 of these people just said something around the lines of "Oh, I gave up on that, it was too hard.".

And you're right, this has lead to experienced modders not giving a s*** about any newbies thinking they'll all give up soon on their "huge" mode or maybe there aren't any veteran modders. Who knows.

:nuke:

Or the "complete overhaul" and "rebuild past TES game" threads. I won't begrudge someone their dreams to make some huge mod that will require 2000+ hours to build, but people need to start small and learn how to actually do some modding before they will be able to mod the really difficult stuff they have planned. There's a reason there's only a couple huge mods for Oblivion, and those also took "years" to finish. :thumbsup:

And you're right, this has lead to experienced modders not giving a s*** about any newbies thinking they'll all give up soon on their "huge" mode or maybe there aren't any veteran modders. Who knows.

All the veteran modders i know are more than willing to give advice or explain how to do something and are willing to be a part of a team. Issue is NONE are willing to be a part of a team that was started by some punk kid who has never modded anything including shaping his chewing gum wrapper into a long boat and dropping it into a stream and yes a kid can also be a veteran modder so i am not discriminating in that comment.. And as for ideas for mods? we all have them, they are a dime a dozen.

Issue also is veterans get the been there done that, or the saw that idea fail enough times to just not give a sh1.. about someones uber giant rebuild Tamriel mod attitude. and new modders are thinking they are being stuck up when its actually they are just not being inspired.

Well I could care less about forum threads, its when they PM you "asking" you to help them out. Once you do point them to the right tutorials they asked about, then its all: omg this is like 2 hard 4 me, U can do it in like 2 mins so make 4 me ok. Then when you politely say you have no time to work on their stuff and it would best for them to learn themselves, then again its all: "WTF is wrong wit U man, U do it all eazy like 2 mins Y U be such a ***** and not do it.!?!?!?!?!

That is when its annoying.

@Jet: Then, please refer me to a veteran scripting modder cuz my bug or something isn't present in any of the tutorials. Maybe you might know, but:

I connect all the branches in order from the orange one to the deeper ones, but they all appear the first time to speak to the npc. Know why?

Oh this does'nt only happen on forum posts, i've actually recieved PM's from users who request that i do that and this in my mod to suit their tastes and then i don't mean like a suggestion either..more like they demand that i do it, i know some of the users probably don't know jack about modding and don't really know how much time is put into a mod. Last time i got a PM from a user who requested me to move Drelas Cottage into the woods and add lots of objects specificly to his taste...my first thought was "who the f*** do he think he is?"

I guess verything is easy in an ignorant mind.

I remember I ended up making a few hair colors out of kindness for a mod that looked like it had potential. The guy seemed really excited to be modding, but he couldn't get hair colors made (bad sign), so I helped him out. It's been a week and a half since I sent a message saying that I fulfilled his request, and still no answer. I'm thinking the project died already. Ugh.

At least he was sincere though, and had a good start already. Some of the others just ask for 'help' with no intention of actually making anything on their own.

Edited by Rennn