Exterior navmesh questions.

cumbrianlad

Hello again!

I've had problems with my mod and believe they are down to modifying exterior navmesh. I deleted all exterior navmesh from my mod in SSEedit to force the originals to be restored. Now I have to do it the right way! The problem is that there's very little information on this and I've got questions about what I've read.

The consensus seems to be that the best way to do it is to drag the original navmesh(es) down 'way below' the terrain and make new navmesh.

Some people have said that you should select the original mesh, delete it and make new navmesh. Then in CK, use the details from the File/Data menu find the deleted navmeshes and mark the deletion to be ignored. After this load the mod in CK again, flood fill the original navmesh and then drag it down, leaving your new navmesh as the only one at ground level.

Firstly, Why would you choose to delete the original mesh in the first place, then reinstate it and then try to flood fill the old mesh and drag it down? It seems like a complete pain (and it is, I've tried it) to do it this way unless there's good reason to have the old mesh deleted when you make the new one. It's far easier to flood fill the original when there's only one mesh there, especially if there are islands involved! Is there any valid reason for doing it the hard way?

Next, when we are told to drag the mesh 'way below' the terrain, what constitutes 'way below'? Are we talking a couple of NPCs standing on top of each other? Can dropping it too far cause other issues?

I have around 6 meshes to alter, so I'd rather do it right than have to repeat the process! At the same time, I'd much rather drop the navmesh without deleting it at all if that's not going to cause a problem.

I've never changed all the navmesh in an entire vanilla cell, but my understanding is to select the entire navmesh in the cell and drag it low enough so the connection to the adjacent cells is broken. Then replace it with your new navmesh and finalize the cell.

I've never changed all the navmesh in an entire vanilla cell, but my understanding is to select the entire navmesh in the cell and drag it low enough so the connection to the adjacent cells is broken. Then replace it with your new navmesh and finalize the cell.

So it doesn't matter at all if I drag it down without first deleting it? It's far easier to do it this way.

As for how far to drag it down, I sense an experiment coming on...

... I'll drag the offending vanilla meshes down a bit at a time until a follower looks like they've run into a brick wall at the boundary between cells. I like doing stuff like that! Then we'll all have a definitive answer.

As far as just moving or just deleting a few verts or triangles in a single exterior cell is fine and should have no consequences. I have done this myself for one mod. But from some of the posts by the OP in this and the Oldrim forums they have added quite a bit to the vanilla cells that it would be much easier to lower the vanilla navmesh and then replace it with their own.

I'm by no standards an expert on the subject but I have completely navmeshed a small world space by hand as well as numerous interior cells with no issues reported from any of my mods or those that I have worked on.

I'm done. The methods I was suggesting have been used for a long time, with successful results. If you are such an expert on the matter then maybe you should enlighten all of us on the proper way by creating a tutorial and asking that it be stickyed in the forums.

I was trying to say, do it the way that Bethesda taught you to do it. That already exists. No need to make a tutorial. It's perfectly fine if you want to hack the game up however you wish. It's your game, do as you please. Good Luck.

Come back and lecture us the correct way of doing things when you have made a few mods of your own. Do you know that modders that work for Creation Cub use the method Aragorn58 has mentioned? Maybe Bethesda should tell those modders to stop "hack the game up" before they sell their mods on Creation Club?

You know how Elianora handles the exterior navmesh for one exterior cell? She DROPS THE WHOLE THING below the ground. You worry about AI pathing and whatnot? That's what finalizing navmesh is for in CK. These steps are covered by CreationKit wiki and if you even read it once you would know that everything Aragorn58 has suggested is EXACTLY how any other experienced, acclaimed modders would have done it. You discredit other modder's methods with vague, groundless suggestions that ran in circles. They are a distraction at best, and discouragement and even false information at worst.

This is what you said to another modder on FO4 forum

Yer thinking is all wrong. Players can't jump into modding PC games & expect it to work or even be fun. It can get interesting the first couple of years, but it's a real nightmare to get it to work. Stability & refined choice takes years & years. Find a veteran & get a copy of their install on disc or something. Unless you can find a guide that tells you specifically what to use & where to get it, how to install it, where to put it, what to change about it, what to test for. It would be like walking outside into the rain & trying to collect raindrops with your finger & thumb in order to fill a bucket, and the rain drops are different colors. You know, it's fairly important what color the water is when the bucket is full.

So go find people that have already done this 5-10 years & know what they are doing. STEP used to make guides, but like of ultimate compatibility in particular. Lots of players make them for one thing or the other. Then you can always get FO3/FNV/SKY to install mods on that just to see how bad you messed it up. Then take what you learned over to the game you wanted to build right. I'd build you one sure, because I'm already doing that. It takes a few months or longer to get 400-500 mods just to make FO4 fun. Weeks of work & testing over a couple of months to get a fun, stable, and final version. Whatever you do, work towards being to do anything you want in a few years.

5-10 years learning curve just to mod a game? Learn from other people's hard drives? Please stop doing harm to the community. Please stop being condescending and please stop spreading false information.

Edited by yian