Just what is the deal with custom face textures?

Asterra

This baffles me. There's a mod called Unique Player and Followers REDUX, wherein you can find a plugin called UniqueFemalePlayer.esp. The changes enacted by this plugin are entirely straightforward: For actor "Player" (00000007), It points "WNAM - Skin" to its custom "PlayerSkinNaked" armor, and "FTST - Head Texture" to its custom "PlayerSkinHeadFemale" texture set. It is the latter I am interested in. This set points to custom textures in custom paths. Those textures are definitely there. So as long as this is all that is necessary to cause "Player" to use these custom assets, things should definitely be working as intended.

They're not.

I even painted a big "X" on the face texture so I would be 100% certain, and yes, the game is ignoring this mod's override and using the texture at the default path, same as all the NPCs. There's no "load order problem" or whatever. No basic oversight like that is going on. There's some fundamental quirk about how Fallout 4 handles this, and I'm left scratching my head. As far as I know, the mod's author is currently similarly baffled and so is anyone else who was looking to use a custom face texture for the player character. Has it really taken two years for this problem to be discovered, or is there a simple fix that I just haven't found yet?

• 5 weeks later...

This baffles me. There's a mod called Unique Player and Followers REDUX, wherein you can find a plugin called UniqueFemalePlayer.esp. The changes enacted by this plugin are entirely straightforward: For actor "Player" (00000007), It points "WNAM - Skin" to its custom "PlayerSkinNaked" armor, and "FTST - Head Texture" to its custom "PlayerSkinHeadFemale" texture set. It is the latter I am interested in. This set points to custom textures in custom paths. Those textures are definitely there. So as long as this is all that is necessary to cause "Player" to use these custom assets, things should definitely be working as intended. They're not. I even painted a big "X" on the face texture so I would be 100% certain, and yes, the game is ignoring this mod's override and using the texture at the default path, same as all the NPCs. There's no "load order problem" or whatever. No basic oversight like that is going on. There's some fundamental quirk about how Fallout 4 handles this, and I'm left scratching my head. As far as I know, the mod's author is currently similarly baffled and so is anyone else who was looking to use a custom face texture for the player character. Has it really taken two years for this problem to be discovered, or is there a simple fix that I just haven't found yet?

Is this about the weird back of the neck texture mismatch? This issue is so old, and don't know why but there are hardly any attempts to fix it from anyone. Every thread usually ends with no practical answers, even from the mod authors, as if they all missed it somehow.

Sorry. I don't have any info on it; I'm not a mod creator. Just letting you know that, yes, there is an issue related to what you described, and it hasn't been solved in a looong time.

There's a mod that's supposed to fix it, but, judging by the bugs tab, it doesn't, and it's not maintained.

Edited by e1grey