skyrim getting boring

gengar807

Glad I'm not the only one finding Skyrim a little tiring. What's strange is that it only really took me about 60-70 hours to get sick of it but with Oblivion I clocked in around 200 hours without getting remotely bored and that was just the xbox version.

I'm not sure why but I enjoyed Oblivion significantly more than I have Skyrim which really kinda bothers me because Skyrim is definitely a "better" game in almost every way but it is no where near as enjoyable. Skyrim misses that illusive "X Factor" that the very best games seem to have. Odd. I wish I could pin it down.

its fairly obvious, oblivion was just better. beth are taking a step back with each game it seems... :teehee:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyrim lacks a compelling story and character development. Most of the story is rather blaaa and consequences for your decisions don't really exists. the freedom of choice is also limited. You always have two choices one good, one bad nothing in between really. The biggest problem seems to be the story I don't really feel the need for much of anything and without story people will quickly get bored. I've never played morrowind did watch for hours on end and i tried oblivion but i could just never get into it.

To:Mydget

no to be rude or anything but what i want you to do is finish most of oblivion and afterwards play skyrim. i want you to compare the guilds such as the mages guild to the collage of winterhold, you will see the quest lines to oblivion is much longer and it will seem like you accomplished much more. once you do all the guilds to oblivion and skyrim you will see the major difference

Edited by gengar807

i think they should atleast add more creatures in the game, if you think about oblivion they had a minotaurs in the game. it would make sense because they have all that fur and stuff unlike oblivions hot weather. i just think skyrim needed more creatures

its fairly obvious, oblivion was just better. beth are taking a step back with each game it seems... :teehee:

Eeh... *wiggles hand*

Saying Oblivion is a better game is going a bit too far, methinks. I mean, it did have some serious shortcomings, and many of the things I don't quite like about Skyrim are things I didn't like in Oblivion either. And honestly, Skyrim does introduce a lot of technical improvements. Oblivion just kinda had more staying power, somehow.

Edited by Relativelybest

Lack of depth in everything is Skyrim's problem in my opinion, in the following ways.

Main quest is too short and has two outcomes. Boring I want to have more choice than this.

Guild quest lines are also way too short plus the outcomes mean nothing. Does being leader of anything influence any of the NPCs or quest lines in a meaningful way, no it doesn't but it should. For instance as leader of the assassins guild I would be expected too be approached by one side or the other too assassinate senior members in the opposing faction but by stealth or making it look like an accident. Leader of the mages, both sides should approach you to mediate and offer your wisdom. Leader of the companions, a quest line to get rid of the Thalmor/Vigilants of Stendar would be nice, I hate them.

Dungeons, this is a biggy for me, they are way too linear and short. Make them large and easy to get lost in (disable the map). Plus traps should be lethal (they are with mods). The mods that darken dungeons add a much better atmosphere and actually make dungeons scary, this should be the case in default. I may have missed something in my 200 hours plus but they are also way too similar, something which was supposed to have been addressed as it was a criticism aimed at oblivion.

Factions, is there any depth here at all. In Fallout New Vegas I killed so many of one faction that upon meeting an NPC who was aligned to them he was really scared of me and called me their grim reaper. This is what you should have.

Combat system, please employ the modder who created deadly reflexes. These guys really know what they are doing.

Magic system as above but for the guy who created midas magic.

A.I. - This is just laughable for normal NPCs but unforgivable for Dragons. A dragon should be the hardest thing there is to kill. It should have a vast array of powers. I would love to see a dragon strafe a town setting fire to things and killing people, then using a shout to raise all the corpses to attack any else left standing.

Terrain, looks lovely especially the mountains but why oh why is there no climbing skill/ability. Climbing would also open lots of options for stealthy characters to scale fortress walls not walk in the front door. Also no footsteps in the snow.

Unfortunately all of the above highlights that the elder scrolls games are regressing not progressing.

To:Mydget

no to be rude or anything but what i want you to do is finish most of oblivion and afterwards play skyrim. i want you to compare the guilds such as the mages guild to the collage of winterhold, you will see the quest lines to oblivion is much longer and it will seem like you accomplished much more. once you do all the guilds to oblivion and skyrim you will see the major difference

I have done the quest-lines for most of the guilds in both of the games and I totally agree. What I was referring to before, was more of the style of game-play (mostly) unique to Bethesda's games.

As for the quest-lines; they are mighty short. I did the Thieves' Guild line and not only was it ridiculously easy and short, I interacted with what, like 3 or 4 NPCs in the guild. I kept going on, hoping I would get to do a quest with the other people in the guild, but... =(

I'm considering making a mod to extend the quest line.