What kind of computer should I buy?

I-pad. Kidding.

You provide no budget nor do you indicate the computer's primary purpose, so I'll say: A really fast computer. (Edit: You did say cost was no object. Please, forgive my comment, it was beer related.)

But for a 4k rig it is 8700k/1800x and GTX1080ti and 16Gb of RAM

What socket/system board does an 8700k ride on?

I'm on an Intel Z77 - i7 3770 @ 3.4 ghz and am thinking my GTX 1070 performance is getting cpu/memory limited

Edited by laowai68

If price isn't an issue, get a Define XL, Seasonic Titanium 1000W, i7-8700K, Asus Maximus X Hero, 2x16 GB DDR4-3200, 2x1080Ti (more is useless, less is lacking), matching SLI HB bridge, LG 55C7, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cable.

If price isn't an issue, get a Define XL, Seasonic Titanium 1000W, i7-8700K, Asus Maximus X Hero, 2x16 GB DDR4-3200, 2x1080Ti (more is useless, less is lacking), matching SLI HB bridge, LG 55C7, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cable.

That is such a cheap case

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854056

Much better :thumbsup:

And if that isn't enough you could always go for a core i9 with 18c/36t

Edited by Erik005

I didn't say "spend as much as possible", just buy a PC with a reasonably flexible budget.

i9 sucks in games.

At 4k the processor doesn't really matter that much as the GPUs are the bottleneck. but the 8700k only has 16 PCIe-lanes although it would't really make a lot of difference.

But generally the whole HEDT platform from Intel is a bit useless for gaming now, when I bought my 3930k it made sense because at 4ghz it still will be a good chip for two years. But I just don't see that value in the socket 2066 platform.

But the Threadripper isn't as fast in games. And which 2TB SSD?

P.S. I use the same config myself, with only user-specific differences (screen size, 4x16 ram, storage, audio, etc) that call for close discussion once/if the OP confirms they're serious about buying an advanced PC.