NWN2 on Windows7

xxnavyguy445

Not sure on the original disk version, but the steam version works fine so can not see it being that different. It even supports more modern resolutions like widescreen/1080p as well.

Yes it will and shouldn't be a problem I'm running it on Windows 7 64 bit from the original discs, you might have to install direct x 9 but that's on the disc just click it from your my computer tab and install. The toolset had a few issues but they're all fixable too and in my experience it now runs better.

Just make sure you update it as that could cause problems so you could be looking at quite a long install but once it's in you can just take the disc out and put it back in the box to gather more dust and you wont need it again.

It was the first thing I installed on my new Win 7 64-bit computer and it works great. Installing SoZ will take care of most of the patching. After that there are 6 more amounting to ~350M. There's a thread on the Bioware Social Network with links to everything you need. link

Sieben Elfriend

I actually have a question about this. Does everyone have Win7 Pro or does the regular version of Win7 work with NWN2? I have all these older games that I keep playing with WinXP but I really don't want to spend $200 for an upgrade if I don't have to.

Win7 Home Professional is all you need. I'm not sure if you guys overseas have access to those System Builder/OEM versions too, here you can get them for like 89 Euros. The only difference to the retail version is that you don't get free MS support. Professional and Ultimate have the Windows XP mode (not to be confused with running an app as "Windows XP compatible"), which is basically a full virtual XP running in 7 for older stuff, but I never needed it for my NWN and NWN2. Also, no issues with 64bit (which is the recommended version nowadays in times of much RAM).

Win7 Home Professional is all you need. I'm not sure if you guys overseas have access to those System Builder/OEM versions too, here you can get them for like 89 Euros. The only difference to the retail version is that you don't get free MS support. Professional and Ultimate have the Windows XP mode (not to be confused with running an app as "Windows XP compatible"), which is basically a full virtual XP running in 7 for older stuff, but I never needed it for my NWN and NWN2. Also, no issues with 64bit (which is the recommended version nowadays in times of much RAM).

THANK YOU!! That little nugget of info just saved me $200 bucks! MS is pretty sneaky...there is nothing to explain that difference in XP modes, and I'm sure a lot of people get duped.

Just to clarify, do you mean Win7 Home Premium? there is no Win7 Home Professional

Edited by MokahTGS

Oops, oh yes, Home Premium of course.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

As I said, I never used the XP mode and I'm sure it's not needed.

But now there's one little thing I should maybe mention to a fellow toolsetter: Since upgrading to Windows 7, the Toolset's Appearance Wizard is almost unusable, it crashes 9 out of 10 times and there's no fix I'm aware of. Most people don't seem to mind since they always use the Armor tab in the properties window and consider the appearance wizard useless anyway - I do mind though, I love and miss the feature so much that for making NPCs alone I installed XP on a seperate HD for this only.

But that's the only negative thing I can think of, I'd never go back to XP again. Coming from the Mac, I used to hate everything Windows (of course!), but since Windows 7 I'm almost... satisfied. :)