Shooting a quarter of the way across the Fallout 4 world map

SKKmods

Probing Fallout 4 "off screen" spawned NPC behavior (thread here) with long scoped shots from 10,000 to 20,000 units distance (Sanctuary to Red Rocket) with standard 308 scoped rifles, I took a side quest to try and hit something a quarter of the way across the Fallout 4 Commonwealth map. Just because.

With ~200,000 units of map X longitude and Y latitude, I'm looking to make a 50,000 distance unit shot which is Sanctuary workbench to the pond in the middle of Starlight.

Create some custom projectiles with "hitscan" beam behavior speed & range 51,200 and a custom combat rifle OMOD receiver with range 51,200 and a tuned aim model. Standard long scope 'cos I dont know how to faff with ZoomData.

Configure Fallout4Custom.ini uGridsToLoad=25 to render the world and NPCs to a player radius of 51,200. I typically run uGridsToLoad=11 for a solid 60 fps and can run to 17 before getting stack dumps. With uGridsToLoad=25 it takes 10x the load time, when it doesn't CTDs it stutters out 20 fps and the keyboard has to be stabbed multiple times to register (mouse is fine though). Not really playable.

Best elevation and line of sight I could find is Kingsport lighthouse South and West down the coast past Revere beach station. Setup an SKK Instant Battleground combat spawning center datum and /tcl back to Kingsport.

ONHIT [Actor < (FF0025F3)>] distance 50.711048

ONHIT [Actor < (FF0025EA)>] distance 50.557182

Really need better zoom optics as I can't actually tell what type of hostiles I'm hitting, but objective achieved.

Point of this is that after 2,000 hours there's still plenty of new stuff to do in Fallout 4, and all that joy for only $30 is wonderful. Thats all.

outstanding achievement!

"see, but do not be seen" indeed.

see, I went a more "dS9" route, thanks to Ruadhan2300's teleportal and Any Door to Anywhere,

I can open a portal through the TARDIS, and shoot from cell x to cell y... hehe.

all while stealth, and blink-grenade or Phayzor stun etc.

try explaining and rationalizing how a 'real-world' shot can go through that

into a New Lands Memory Den Virtual Holodeck cell.

EDIT: 'longshot sniping mersenne 041-917073"

the above is a keyword string to assist in rapid-recall to this thread in future if I'm on devices which do not have my 'boomarks'

Edited by montky

• 3 weeks later...