ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Dragons curse wont work

Deleted4217931User

OK, I've spent the last day or so trying to install the Dragons Curse mod, but because I'm a total noob I haven't been able to get it to work. I downloaded it and got a .BSA file and a .ESP file. I copied them both to C:/Program Files (x86)/The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim/Data, then changed SkyrimPrefs (located under My Documents/My Games/Skyrim) to allow me to click the 'Data Files' option from the startup menu. I started Skyrim, and enabled the .ESP file from the Data Files option on the menu. I ran the game, but the mod did not show up. I added the name of the .ESP file (dragoncurse_alpha_1.esp) to the 'plugins' file, found under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Skyrim, but still nothing appeared. I haven't got a Skyrim folder in my Steam installation, I only have up to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps in my steam directory, even though most pieces of advice on the internet say that I should have C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim/Data. Any help appreciated, I've been banging my head off the desk over this!

OK, I've spent the last day or so trying to install the Dragons Curse mod, but because I'm a total noob I haven't been able to get it to work. I downloaded it and got a .BSA file and a .ESP file. I copied them both to C:/Program Files (x86)/The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim/Data, then changed SkyrimPrefs (located under My Documents/My Games/Skyrim) to allow me to click the 'Data Files' option from the startup menu. I started Skyrim, and enabled the .ESP file from the Data Files option on the menu. I ran the game, but the mod did not show up. I added the name of the .ESP file (dragoncurse_alpha_1.esp) to the 'plugins' file, found under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Skyrim, but still nothing appeared. I haven't got a Skyrim folder in my Steam installation, I only have up to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps in my steam directory, even though most pieces of advice on the internet say that I should have C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim/Data. Any help appreciated, I've been banging my head off the desk over this!

What's not working? the books not showing up in the Cursed Chest in the Skyforge (in Whiterun, near the Companions base, Jorrvaskr or whatever)? The chest itself isn't showing up?

Maybe try creating the common/Skyrim/Data folders? Maybe put it more towards the end of your load order in plugins.txt and loadorder.txt (in the same folder as plugins.txt, though I think nexus mod manager and/or boss creates it)?

ps. make sure you have the latest patch (1.4.27, unless you wanna get the new 1.5 beta patch), and maybe install the latest non-beta version of SKSE (google it, it will be one of the first results and get the beta version if you have the 1.5 patch for skyrim installed)

OK, doing that now. I created the Steam folders, but still nothing. The chest itself wont show up, let alone the books...

well whichever folder Skyrims launcher recognizes the plugin exists in, is the right folder to put it in. btw, if the .esp file wasn't already listed in plugins.txt, that means it's not active. if it's still not active and you ran the game since adding it to plugins.txt and loadorder.txt, it should be gone from plugins.txt too

if it comes down to it (hopefully you only have a few mods), you should reinstall steam to a folder besides program files or program files (X86). Its a bad idea to install to those two folders. I have mine running on an external hard drive under T:/The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim with 100~ mods and for the most part it's working good, so installing to C:/ or C:/Games or something might fix it.

Edited by cannabis4200000

The .esp is in the Skyrim directory, but when I put the.bga and .esp files in there, nothing came up in plugins.txt until I edited it. There also isn't a loadorder.txt in appdata/Local/Skyrim, so I created one which looks like this:

Skyrim.esm

dragoncurse_alpha_1.esp

On the Skyrim startup screen, under Data Files, dragoncurse_alpha_1 is still at the top of the list, above Skyrim.esm. I'm guessing I need to do something in loadorder.txt to swat these two around, but I'm not sure if what I typed in loadorder is correct...

Edited by Guest

The .esp is in the Skyrim directory, but when I put the.bga and .esp files in there, nothing came up in plugins.txt until I edited it. There also isn't a loadorder.txt in appdata/Local/Skyrim, so I created one which looks like this:

Skyrim.esm

dragoncurse_alpha_1.esp

Those are the only plugins you have? you should have an Update.esm file if you're games fully updated. a lot of mods will require version 1.4, and a lot of the time they dont even post that on the description because they assume it goes without saying. install/reinstall the latest patch for skyrim and I'd be surprised if it didnt solve your problem

On the Skyrim startup screen, under Data Files, dragoncurse_alpha_1 is still at the top of the list, above Skyrim.esm. I'm guessing I need to do something in loadorder.txt to swat these two around, but I'm not sure if what I typed in loadorder is correct...

make sure your plugins.txt looks like that too. i'm pretty sure loadorder.txt is used by NMM, etc to keep track of active and inactive plugins (I think it's because Skyrim puts inactive plugins at the bottom of the load order in addition to not displaying them in plugins.txt) and plugins.txt is what's used by the actual game (and doesn't show inactive plugins)

Ok, I looked on Steam but couldn't find a way to download an update, because I didn't download the game from Steam, and I don't run it from Steam. Any ideas?

well then, you should still try reinstalling Skyrim somewhere besides Program Files and Program Files (x86).

as for the patch idk there's nothing on there website

Ok, I looked on Steam but couldn't find a way to download an update, because I didn't download the game from Steam, and I don't run it from Steam. Any ideas?

well then, you should still try reinstalling Skyrim somewhere besides Program Files and Program Files (x86).

as for the patch idk there's nothing on there website

I managed to update it to version 1.4.27, and decided to leave it there, rather than installing the beta. I ran NMM and it created a loadorder.txt file :)

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

dragoncurse_alpha_1.esp

That is all the text in my loadorder.txt file as of now. The treasure chest still isn't showing up though...