Slow open world loading

Nerokira113

Ok I've been googling and searching for a reason/fix for this issue for quite a while now. But I can't find a definitive answer or fix for it. I set up my game + mods and start a fresh save, everything runs fine except minor issues barely worth mentioning. But after a while, while running from A to B in the open world, (not just in cities, but even in barren areas) things start loading slower and slower until it's almost unplayable without fast travelling. After a short sprint (or even a jog) roads, buildings, objects and enemies fail to load even a little bit (I've fallen through bridges and roads before now only to get stuck when they loaded on me, or even load up in the middle of a pack of Super Mutants). A lot of the time, the game just stops and gives me the loading screen vault-tec symbol in the bottom right while it loads up the open world I was walking into.

I run a pretty decent setup for a pc, which has no problems at all running any game yet, (sometimes even two at the same time). So I sincerely doubt it's my pc. I've repeatedly started modding the game from scratch again and again, only to keep coming up with this issue. I'm just not noticing what causes it, or even if any one mod does cause it or if it's a culmination of things.

I've recently 'fixed' it temporarily with a complete new install of Fallout 4, and modding the game again from scratch, but I'm simply just waiting for this issue to come back again. Has anyone else experienced this? All the information I can find is pretty inconclusive with answers to causes and fixes, my last desperate idea is that could it be my "Scrap everything" mod? As I hear modding the settlement's cells used to cause major game issues, so could scrapping all the buildings and junk in my settlements slowly contribute to this loading time issue somehow?

If not, anyone else with ideas?

Edit: This issue also seems to tie in with weapon swapping. Changing guns in the middle of combat is a very bad idea usually as I can be left waiting two minutes for a weapon to load.

Edited by Nerokira113

Did you try lower resolution textures? Especially the weapon swap problem sounds like your pc has trouble handling the amount of large textures, and has to figure out which ones it currently holds in memory to discard for the highres weapon textures. How much VRAM do you have available, and do you use any texture overhauls?

Just a wild guess, and yes, I did read about you doubting that your computer can't handle it, but even modern highend machines have trouble rendering if all textures are in 8k resolution. Give us some system specs to work with. :)

P.S.: I'm also using scrap everything, but am not experiencing your problem.

I have, one of the first things I tried, went from 4k high res texture mods to optimization 2k ones, various different kinds. Though could be that the Doombased weapons all in one is contributing to your idea, I do use the SCAR a lot.

I'll admit I'm no technical wiz, but hopefully this will answer the VRAM and system spec.

0f3bbf0833e25b21e388f23e9d763364.png
https://gyazo.com/0f3bbf0833e25b21e388f23e9d763364

ad02418c0c6ae1c4f9474edae51251ad.png
https://gyazo.com/ad02418c0c6ae1c4f9474edae51251ad

Your graphic card has 4GB of VRAM (Dedicated Video Memory) and an additional 8GB from other system ressources, which are way slower than VRAM.

Aside from the 16GB RAM, our setups are quite similar, tho I don't use the HD-Texturepack, since it seems to cause problems for many people.

I can only make blind guesses, so I can't promise anything will work, but here are some suggestions you could try:

- disable the HD texture pack

- move the game to an SSD if you haven't already

- defragment the drive if it's on a regular HDD

- this https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496880503081995785/#c496881136925116593

- check for new graphic drivers

- use nVidia Experience to automatically adjust game settings

- try running it without any mods and see if the issue persists

- use LOOT to check for load order problems

If you're using nexus mod manager, list the mods you're using here.

All suggestions are appreciated, I'm pretty much out of my own ones at this point! XD

Think I've already tried some of those but will go through the list again just to be sure, so may be a while before I reply back any results from testing those as it can take quite a while of gameplay for the problem to show itself.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Another thought... could giving yourself a huge carry weight possibly cause this? I'm not a great fan of inventory management so I always just increase my carry weight to stupidly high amounts (anywhere from 1000 to 10,000) so I don't have to keep running back and forth as I'm quite the hoarder.

I don't think so. My own character's max. carry weight is currently ~1500, and I tend to move huge piles of stuff around often (40.000+). Still, try if it keeps happening without any mods installed. If you still have the problem in a few days (not at home atm), I could try to replicate the issue by using your config and mods and see if I can find something out.

Ok, dropped the HD texture pack, defragged my HDD, LOOT is fine except minor file cleanups needed. But started getting the issue again in Boston, hit 3 load screens during one sprint - and the Fraternity, the boat off the bridge, and the city near the baseball stadium failed to load before a load screen started. Dropped my entire mod list and re-ran the same route, worked perfectly fine. So it's either a mod, or a combination of them causing issues. So now running the long arduous task of uninstalling and reinstalling them to try and narrow down the culprit. (Although annoyingly I overwrote the profile that had the error this time around, these are the only mods I had though not all were activated at the time of the problem occuring, roughly 45 of them)

https://gyazo.com/6d73e6646f31194174f09e1d887d8e54

https://gyazo.com/e1c8f69adf689e99dce23f8f9485b191

https://gyazo.com/859473ed723a67c8178db33da37252d2

Edited by Nerokira113

"Dropped my entire mod list and re-ran the same route, worked perfectly fine. So it's either a mod, or a combination of them causing issues. So now running the long arduous task of uninstalling and reinstalling them to try and narrow down the culprit."

Yeah, it can be a real pain to troubleshoot this stuff. Unfortunately there's no way around it. :-/ It would be awesome if you could post again when you find the culprit, as it could help others in the future with a similar problem. :)