[LE] Changing NiMaterialproperty to BSLightingShaderproperty etc

aloha23

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to learn about converting OBJ and 3DS files to work in nifskope yet I keep running into the same issue regarding the texture properties when importing these file types. I understand that NiMaterialproperty is outdated and will not work with Skyrim so is it possible to change it to the proper BSLightingShaderProperty/ShaderTextureSet branch without messing up the UVmapping?

I've tried copy and pasting the texture branches from a working nif and that kept coming up with errors saying the nif versions differ. Same goes for copying and pasting the actual mesh into a working nif. I'd really love to use these royalty free meshes in some mods I'm working on so if anyone has any advice on how to fix the texture properties that would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

Don't try to change it. Delete it and create a new BSLightingShaderProperty. Easiest way to do that is open an existing similar mesh in Nifskope, copy the BSLSP branch from there, paste it in at the same level in your new mesh, and adjust the properties.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to follow your instructions but I don't think I'm quite getting the hang of it right. When I delete the NiMaterialProperty block it seems to get rid of all the UVmapping information. When I then try to copy and paste the BSLSP branch from a different nif it keeps giving me these errors.

"Nif versions differ! Current file version: 20.0.0.5 Clipboard data version: 20.2.0.7 The results will be unpredictable...." and if I press continue it just appears to crash nifskope. I'm going to try it with a few others to see what happens.

OMG, you're starting from square one. Go here and follow the instructions for preparing a nif for Skyrim. That's one page from a larger tutorial that's largely specific to blender, but the info about how to manipulate the nif is relevant to you.

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to learn about converting OBJ and 3DS files to work in nifskope yet I keep running into the same issue regarding the texture properties when importing these file types. I understand that NiMaterialproperty is outdated and will not work with Skyrim so is it possible to change it to the proper BSLightingShaderProperty/ShaderTextureSet branch without messing up the UVmapping?

I've tried copy and pasting the texture branches from a working nif and that kept coming up with errors saying the nif versions differ. Same goes for copying and pasting the actual mesh into a working nif. I'd really love to use these royalty free meshes in some mods I'm working on so if anyone has any advice on how to fix the texture properties that would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

What 3D program are you using to import? and could you provide a link to the 3D model itself?

If you're using a somewhat high version of max ( like max 2017-18 for example ), make sure to change this setting to Skyrim when export, sometimes it switches to Fallout 4 if you don't untick the Auto Detect and you can't copy the BSLighting of a Skyrim mesh to it, if the mesh is export with Fallout 4 setting.

LR2d8ie.jpg

OMG, you're starting from square one. Go here and follow the instructions for preparing a nif for Skyrim. That's one page from a larger tutorial that's largely specific to blender, but the info about how to manipulate the nif is relevant to you.

Thanks! I'm going to try that and see how it turns out.

What 3D program are you using to import? and could you provide a link to the 3D model itself?

If you're using a somewhat high version of max ( like max 2017-18 for example ), make sure to change this setting to Skyrim when export, sometimes it switches to Fallout 4 if you don't untick the Auto Detect and you can't copy the BSLighting of a Skyrim mesh to it, if the mesh is export with Fallout 4 setting.

I'm currently using the latest blender since I don't have access to Max. If it's worth it to use the free trial at least to get these couple of files exported properly I'd definitely consider giving it a try instead. I know the nif plugins for Blender are pretty buggy so I've been trying to avoid exporting using it. So far I've been able to import the obj files into nifskope directly fairly successfully. The only issue is the NiMaterialProperties.

Here's a link to one of the models I was hoping to use. Thanks.

https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/464431

Edit: Interestingly enough it looks like someone's already converted that particular model for skyrim today. However, I still would like to learn how to make these work properly since theres a few slightly more complex models I want to use in the future so any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/949599

Edited by aloha23

I think you should convert some smaller object first, try this one http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-43249.html

It's an .obj file and doesn't have a texture

It should be easy. the UV is screwed up by default, But no worry! its only purpose is for it to show up in your game.

8Jzh2S7l.jpg

I already converted it to Skyrim and made a metal like texture for it ( I'm using 3ds max 2017 btw )

Here's the result:

IPA1fsKh.png

ChnnEBXh.png

I put a download link for you here if you want to use it as file structure, including texture and everything ( can install with NMM )

You can get it in-game using console command " help plane "

Creation kit ID is: 0plane

http://drive.google.com/file/d/14nsTqC4mHsFQBZMrHGsleP23u7Bq9fv9/view?usp=sharing

diffuse, normal and environment map made by me

I use one of the humus cubemaps made by billyro for it reflection, credit to him, of course!

The process of converting stuff is the same, if you're successful at converting this to show up in your game, I'm sure you can do the same with any 3D model out there.

The only hard part is most 3D object doesn't have a texture and correct UV map ( like this plane )

So, most of the time you have to do it manually.

Hope this help :smile:

• 2 weeks later...