[wip] plantigrade feet for beast races

Grimoa

This started as a request by Danidragon here.

I was intrigued by the idea of bringing back the unique feet beast races had in Morrowind but without the hassle of recreating every piece of footwear or adding new animations.

So I had to try. (I'm only modeling for three months now, so bodyparts was/is a hugh project.)

I did the first ingame test yesterday, so now I'm confident enough to open a new topic for it. And anyways the other topic is a bit crowded with all kinds of ideas.

Oh, right, just in case (and cause I had to ask wikipedia)

plantigrade = walking on the whole foot

digitrade = walking on the toes (Morrowind style). There's an awesome looking mod in the works for that, search for "unique beast races" if you don't know it.

Alright, pictures.

Sharpend the argonian's claws a bit:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/lr8vrplf/Blender_20120322_193721.jpg

Unwrapped the khajiit feet using the vanilla texture. it's not looking good :/

The texture is blurry to begin with and gets stretched on my model.

The Cover Khajiit mod has some nice detail, but I still had stretching problems. (No, I would not include the textures should I ever release this.)

First ingame screen! And yes, I noticed the gap at the ankle ;)

http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/i037oocq/Skyrim_20120323_231356.jpg

That's vanilla texture in case I confused you. And the yellow texture on the claws is only a placeholder.

Ok, so I thought about doing my own texture. Luckily there's some free stock photos of fur on the innernets ;)

Without further editing, it looked like this:

http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/py0fdrxo/Blender_20120324_151651.jpg

That's a good point to start, don't you think?

With a little luck I can hide the seam where it meets the full body texture in the fur pattern ;)

Now, if you are knowledgable about skyrim textures, I got a few questions:

I'm not sure about the _msn.dds. What's the difference to _n.dds? I remember seeing a tutorial about how to do _msn.dds, I just can't find it anymore.

What's _sk.dds for?

Any help is appreciated! :)

Currently I'm testing the feet by simply replacing all female feet.

This happend when I went to skyrim to have a look:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/t6264bdh/Skyrim_20120324_155351.jpg http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/zl69jbap/Skyrim_20120324_155538.jpg

So apparently the textures get overwritten. But, oh well, I have to make the khajiit use a separete model, so a separete texture should be no problem. It's only I wasn't in the mood for CK work today.

Buuuuut I successfully got rid of the gap for female khajiit size 0. :dance:

Oh and any input on the question of whether to use vanilla textures or make new ones would be appreciated.

Using vanilla textures would allow for the usage of texture replacers, but I would have to fiddle with the UV map.

New textures leave me with the questions mentioned above.

:unsure:

Ok, that's it for now. More to come...

...next weekend.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 argonian claws are way too big. Can you make four toes instead of three?

2 khajiit model is ok with vanilla textures for me.

Edited by Derok

See, that's the reason why I hate to open WIP threads.

I'm not on a schedule here.

As a matter of fact I planned to get the CK work done but it turned out to be a bit more complicated than replacing the path for the nif. I don't remember Oblivion or Morrowind having "BodyPartSet"s (or what was it called?). And those still don't show which feet the race is using. Hopefully I can learn how to do that from another race mod.

But than I got sidetracked and visited the Illiac Bay.

You never lost a whole weekend to gaming without planning to, right?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I did not abandon this. I just stopped doing "anything but this" in my spare time.

@Derok:

I don't think I want to start over with the argonian feet :/

As for the textures I could see this mod having a vanilla-texture and a custom-texture version. I should probably do the vanilla first instead of getting caught up in texture making. *sigh*

@roland: One thing at a time ;)

Edited by Grimoa

Thanks! And sorry you don't like it. But as I said I'll stick to it for now to get something done.

I won't promise anything but depending on reactions (and if I'm still having fun doing it) variations might be possible. At least technically.

I half expect "unique beast races" to be done before that, though. And digitrade feet (with animations ?) would be so cool.

Minor Update: The feet aren't body parts but armor addons. Who would have known. -.-

So, finally looking in the right place it was as easy as changing a file path. Hopefully. i still have to test everything.

But first I'm unwrapping the khajiit over again, hopefully making it compatible with the vanilla texture. (Which still looks crap.)