Lag caused by mods

samuraiche

Alright, I'm running a whopping 126 mods and frankly, its causing Skyrim to run really slowly at times. Its become apparent that I am going to have to cut some out in order to fix this, so I need help figuring out which would cause the most lag or issues, and which wouldn't make a difference if I got rid of them

Alright, now mainly, the best three mods are these:\

Warzones IV

Warzones Civil Unrest

Deadly Dragons

But i'm also guessing that they cause the most strain on the game. Am I right?

Do weapons and armour expansions cause much issues? I'm running quite a few to add variety

I am also running a Falmer, Dwemer, Dremora, and Ashen race addition mod for character creation.

Running a few combat enhancers, soundtrack and ambiance additions, and texture improvements, usually just the most popular ones just to increase texture quality, nothing that involves changing the appearance of things and places drastically.

Running a few mods that mix up Stormcloak and Imperial armour to add variety, a few that add perks to the skill trees, a few that adjust certain NPC behaviours and follower behaviours, and one that lets you choose to start in different ways when you make a new character.

Would any of these particular examples cause much stress or lag for the game? Would removing the texture quality or the added amount of weapons I can craft at a forge make any noticeable difference on the game's performance?

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

Are you running the Official HD Texture Pack in conjunction with other texture replacers? If so, I'd start there. Having multiple textures load for the same item is known to cause noticeable lag.

There's a tutorial out there somewhere on how to rectify this, but basically, you have to go through and compare your replacers manually and choose a resource for each item to keep, then delete everything extra. It's a tedious process but some people claim it's well worth it. You'll probably have to unpack and repack some .bsa files, etc.

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can uninstall a few textures here and there.

Is it okay to run the Static mesh improvements mod with the Skyrim HD textures? What about realistic lighting?

Also, if I decided to start over and uninstall the game, how can I do that, considering I run it on Steam of course, and then reinstall it without it reloading all the mods I have in my current files and on steam workshop? And if I reset all the files and put in the most important mods back in, would my saves still load correctly?

SMIM needs to be loaded last. Also, you should set up the Official HD Texture pack to run trough your .ini and deactivate it's plugins (there's topics and a guide on how to do this here on the Nexus). Realistic Lighting shouldn't be affected by any texture enhancements though.

To do a full reinstall from scratch, I'm just going to refer you to Bben's Oblivion Reinstall Procedure as it's very thorough and it can be applied to Skyrim. The only thing I'll add is that, if you're moving the location you're install Steam (and therefore the game) in, using Revo Uninstaller saves a lot of hassle with getting rid of any left behind registry keys.

Your current saves may or may not work and there may or may not be crucial data saved into your saves that can cause other odd glitches should you not reinstall the mod(s) responsible. As an example, uninstalling Realistic Water Textures and Terrain v2.0 is known to cause invisible waterfalls.