Do u think this armour is to simple for Skyrim?

MikeDavis

Look at the WIP armor in my sig...i'm not working on it atm but the base mesh is very simple as well, i have to redo the textures these are just for testing purposes

but they already look ok - so with a good normal map and detailed textures it should work as well.

Edited by ghosu

What "Galy3" said! Look at the models for most of the armours in Skyrim and you wonder if the 3D modeller's at BGS were actually doing anything! The make extensive use of normal maps an textures to make the armours ...

Thats actually the rule of every video game out there. Make hi poly model, reduce its poly count with some third party tool, bake normal map out of the diff between the low poly model and the hi poly model. Polys cost more perf than bump maps, thus, more bump mapping and less polys.

It wouldnt be surprising if the artists worked in a 10k poly model that ends up as a 1k poly model in the final game. Imagine that much of the detail that you find on bump maps are actually derived from the kind of detail the original hi poly mesh had without bump maps, just pure polygons.

OP, though you can only do so much with bump maps and texturing, in your case, i see a perfectly usable and good mesh there. Just make sure you spend time making good textures for it and it could look pretty good ingame.

Edited by eltucu

• 2 weeks later...