Putting hats on NPCs with helmets

Madjack01

Is there any way to get an npc who wears a helmet to wear a hat?

Once when I was bored I decided to put a mage's hood on everyone in one of the castles, and since then I've decided that at some point the Plague of Green Hats needs to spread to everyone in the Imperial City... (#LifeGoals)

Since the bound-armor glitch is fixed by the patch, is there any way to get an npc who wears a helmet to put on the mage's hood instead?

If I made a disintegrate armor spell and used it on them repeatedly to knock down their armor rating to zero, would they then equip the mage's hood the next time they awoke after sleeping, perhaps if I enchanted it with a shield effect?

It's really going to irritate me if I can't get the guards to wear the hats as well.

Update:

So far I have placed the hoods on about half the population of Imperial City - everyone at the Arcane University (including the Archmage), about two-thirds of the Imperial Watch (everyone who sleeps in the outer guard towers), and everyone who resides or works in the following districts: the Arena, the Market District, the Elven Gardens, and the Temple District... Also some of the people in the Prison District. I have yet to hit the Waterfront, Talos Plaza and the Palace districts.

It's been tough with the Imperial Watch, since I had to steal their helmets while they slept so they'd put the hoods on. I'd hit the few that were in the guard tower at any one time, wait two hours in-game, then hit the newcomers, rinse and repeat, until just over 24 hours went by and I was sure nobody scripted to sleep at that tower was missing a hat. And then move onto the next one. The only Watch soldiers that still have helmets are all apparently sleeping in the city center, which I haven't hit yet.

The rest of the city will probably be done by the weekend unless I get sidetracked with other projects.

I'd post a pic or two, but have no idea how to upload images here.

EDIT:

It just occurred to me that there may be a few folks wearing helmets that I can't steal because they're not meant to be wearable, and some people I can't get to because they're behind locked doors or not accessible until certain parts of the storyline...

Also, are there any people in Imperial City who just aren't scripted to go sleep somewhere at some point?