Main Quest/Civil War Overhaul

behughes

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--Update--

I think I've figured out what was messing up the game's default scripts. Right now, it seems like there's no way around overwriting them if you're editing scripts in existing quests. If I make a duplicate of the quest in the CK, the dialogue branches don't transfer. If I make a duplicate of the script, the dialogue and scenes aren't triggered (no clue why this is yet). If I can figure out why the latter is happening and fix it, we'll be in business. If nothing else, I've backed up the original script files, so if worst-comes-to-worst, I can always recover the them.

I'm running into plenty of other snags, but at the same time, I do think this is getting closer to being a working mod.

For anyone who wants to get involved, its never too late :)

Wow, this looks awesome man. Hopefully you can get this working then later on all the large main quest overhaul mods can become compatible with one another. Currently there are only three that I know of, one of which is halted indefinitely until the guy comes back to the Nexus. Anyway, the first is The Dragonborn Legacy which I'm in charge of and changes the late-game main quest for more outcomes and consequences and am in pre-content release alpha stages right now, the second is the Dragon Riders of Skyrim, the leader is tomhughes who hasn't been around for a while so I'm not sure what the deal is there, and the third is Improving the Blades which I noticed you commented in not too long ago. Nevertheless, the idea is to make the main quest overhaul mods all compatible with one another and hopefully this mod is no exception. :thumbsup: Good luck to you mate.

Wow, this looks awesome man. Hopefully you can get this working then later on all the large main quest overhaul mods can become compatible with one another. Currently there are only three that I know of, one of which is halted indefinitely until the guy comes back to the Nexus. Anyway, the first is The Dragonborn Legacy which I'm in charge of and changes the late-game main quest for more outcomes and consequences and am in pre-content release alpha stages right now, the second is the Dragon Riders of Skyrim, the leader is tomhughes who hasn't been around for a while so I'm not sure what the deal is there, and the third is Improving the Blades which I noticed you commented in not too long ago. Nevertheless, the idea is to make the main quest overhaul mods all compatible with one another and hopefully this mod is no exception. :thumbsup: Good luck to you mate.

Wow, just took a quick glance at your thread. I'll give it a more in-depth look tonight... but needless to say it looks epic! Most of my ideas are limited to small things to make the existing story framework work a little better, but it looks like you made the story your own, definitely one of the best ideas I've encountered for a main quest overhaul to date.

How far along is your mod? Perhaps we could collaborate? Share ideas, pool resources, talk compatibility, etc.

Wow, just took a quick glance at your thread. I'll give it a more in-depth look tonight... but needless to say it looks epic! Most of my ideas are limited to small things to make the existing story framework work a little better, but it looks like you made the story your own, definitely one of the best ideas I've encountered for a main quest overhaul to date.

How far along is your mod? Perhaps we could collaborate? Share ideas, pool resources, talk compatibility, etc.

I think you also try to get atention of the community and try to get more people involved (post PM's to good modders with kudosses (don't know the plural, sorry), post a call-up on more viewed forum's etc.), and also overhaul the civil war (like I said before i'm already working on a reasonable continued questline). But good luck

I think you also try to get atention of the community and try to get more people involved (post PM's to good modders with kudosses (don't know the plural, sorry), post a call-up on more viewed forum's etc.), and also overhaul the civil war (like I said before i'm already working on a reasonable continued questline). But good luck

I tried posting some of my scripting issues in the Mod Troubleshooting forum, and I started a thread in the Mod Talk forum about putting together a modding team, but neither is really getting much attention.I'm new the community so I don't really know who to ask for help :/

- - - - -

And as for the Civil War, I do plan on overhauling it as well. However, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it, so I'm open to more specific suggestions. To be fair, I did not actually play through the Civil War myself, I only read the outline in on the Elder Scrolls wiki :P

That said, I actually like the existing factions, and I applaud Bethesda for making them both morally complicated, and forcing you to choose "the lesser of two evils." However, it looks like the choice doesn't really have any major impact on the rest of the game. I don't want to create a new faction that would make the other two choices obsolete, as I believe it is important that every choice in the game have benefits and costs. Then again, I personally think a "peace maker" option could exist that enables some kind of compromise between the factions. Also, a pro-Thalmor "warmonger" option could be put into place to ensure the fighting never ends, weakening Skyrim and allowing the Thalmor to gain greater influence.

Any thoughts?

About the peace option...

There is a peace conference between the Empire and the Rebels at High Hrothgar before the Elder Scroll can be retrieved. So if you want to add yet another peace option, then there will have to be a radiant story overhaul of that quest too.

In my opinion it might be best to leave the peace offerings alone.

I'm Inclined to agree. Most of my ideas are meant to change as little as possible, and add even less.

I want to change the actual mechanics and dialogue of Season Unending to make even temporary peace more difficult, by adding Speech skill-checks and other conditions. This way, most non-persuasive characters will be forced into the war.

I've completed the first draft of a quest-by-quest overview for this mod. A few of the ideas mentioned in my first post were scrapped, a few new ones added. To summarize:

-player's background and origin will be briefly be explored in a flashback during the Helgen execution

-"Bleak Falls Barrow" delayed

-more greybeard training before "Horn of Jurgen Windcaller"

-Blade's recruiting completely overhauled, with new NPCs

-"Diplomatic Immunity" delayed

-Skyhaven Temple upgrades

-Unique dragon battle quests in all nine holds

-"Throat of the World" delayed

-More outcomes for "Season Unending"

-Paarthurnax ultimatum resolved

-Massive battle between dragons and allies to take place during "The World Eater's Eyrie"

In the text below, "PC" refers to the player character

--ACT I--

Unbound: <unchanged>

Before the Storm: PC and Hadvar/Ralof rendezvous in Riverwood. Alvor/Gerdur ask PC to bring word of the dragons to the Jarl of Whiterun. PC speaks to the Jarl, who thanks him/her and offers the prospect of more work in the future.

Message to Falkreath (optional): Proventus sends PC to deliver a message to the Jarl of Falkreath, in order to prevent a misunderstanding that could lead to war between the holds.

Fetch (formerly Bleak Falls Barrow)[DELAYED]: After some time passes (e.g. two weeks) AND/OR PC has reached a certain level (e.g. level 7), he/she will receive a letter from the Jarl via courier, inviting him/her to speak with Farengar about a new task. Farengar asks PC to fetch the stone tablet from Bleak Falls Barrow.

Dragon Rising: <unchanged>

-Note- Western Watchtower will now have a small village that is destroyed along with the tower.

The Way of the Voice: Greybeards train PC to use the thu’um. After learning Unrelenting Force and Whirlwind Sprint, Arngeir encourages PC to continue seeking words of power.

Words of Power: Arngeir reveals the locations of three more words of power, as part of PC’s training. After learning them, a journal update tells PC to return to High Hrothgar to complete training.

Horn of Jurgen Windcaller: <unchanged>

--ACT II--

A Blade in the Dark: <unchanged>

Rebuilding the Blades, Part 1: Delphine sets up temporary Blades headquarters in Riverwood basement and gives PC several dossiers for new Blades recruits. New recruits offer services, act as followers, or offer information on guild intrigues, civil war activities, etc.

Diplomatic Immunity [DELAYED]: After time has passed, Delphine sends PC and Malborn undercover to investigate Thalmor involvement in the dragon crisis.

A Cornered Rat: <unchanged>

-Note- Dialogue relating to Delphine and Esbern being having prior knowledge of one another will be removed.

Alduin’s Wall: <unchanged>

-Note- Blades recruits will now join PC, Dephine, and Esbern on this quest.

Rebuilding the Blades, Part 2: PC recruits more Blades. Skyhaven temple is upgraded with the addition of each new recruit.

The Dragonborn Comes (optional): PC and Blades warriors defend each of the holds against dragon attacks:

-Notes- Each of these dragons will have a unique name. The battles will take place in a variety of places; some will attack existing villages, like Rorikstead. Others might attack strategic locations, such as the bridge to Windhelm. Some attacks may even take place inside the city itself, such as in Markarth! Because Dawnstar, Winterhold, and Falkreath are so small, new villages might be added to these holds, some of which might not survive…

These quests will also be necessary in order to be named Thane in a particular hold.

Whose side are you on? (optional): If PC has not yet joined the Civil War, Hadvar/Ralof (whomever PC did NOT help escape Helgen) will ask to meet the PC and ask them to join their side in the Civil War.

Throat of the World [DELAYED]: After some time has passed, Esbern will learn that PC need to learn Dragonrend to defeat Alduin, and sends him/her to High Hrothgar to learn more.

Elder Knowledge: <unchanged>

Alduin’s Bane: <unchanged>

--ACT III--

Season Unending: If the PC has not fought in the Civil War up to the point of securing Whiterun for either the Imperials or the Stormcloaks, PC will have to hold a peace conference at High Hrothgar. The stakes in the peace talk are much higher; if PC has favored one side too strongly, in either the war itself or the peace talks, the opposing side will be less cooperative, require VERY HIGH speech skills to recover. If he/she cannot persuade both sides to cooperate, the peace talks will fail, forcing PC to fight in the civil war up to the point that the Jarl of Whiterun is satisfied that it is safe to proceed with the plan to capture Odahviing.

Paarthurnax: Esbern will ask PC to kill Paarthurnax. Doing so will cause the Greybeards to cease all training and hospitality. Choosing to let Paarthurnax live will cause Esbern and several Blades loyal to him to leave Skyhaven Temple, vowing to eventually kill Paarthurnax themselves. Esbern’s knowledge of dragon locations, as well as the Dragon Infusion perk, will now be unavailable, however Delphine and the remaining Blades will stay loyal to PC.

The Fallen: <unchanged>

-Note- Delphine and the Blades will now join you for this mission

Gathering Allies (optional): Delphine will suggest that PC gather any allies he/she has to help in the assault on Skuldafn. If you have completed the civil war quest for the Stormcloaks, they will lend archers, effective against dragons. The Imperials will likewise send infantry, effective against draugr, if you sided with them. Blades, Mages (healers or casters), Companions, and other faction allies, housecarls, mercenaries, etc. can accompany PC as well, for a force no larger than 10 strong. PC's allies will meet him/her on the Great Porch in Dragonsreach.

The World Eater’s Eyrie: PC, along with any allies gathered, are taken to Skuldafn, where a considerable force of draugr (lots of low/medium lvl "sword fodder" will be added) and many dragons stand between PC and the portal to Sovngard.

Sovngard: <unchanged>

Dragonslayer: <unchanged>

I'll be putting up an overview for the Civil War quest soon. Let me know what you guys think!

Edited by behughes