Main Quest/Civil War Overhaul

behughes

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you adding backgrounds? People make up all sorts of crazy backgrounds and you can only make a few.

That's a good point. I might scrap that altogether.

- - - - -

After some thought, I've decided to scrap the "lasting peace" outcome for Season Unending, since it goes against the spirit of the game a bit and might interfere with future DLC.

I'm also going to remove the Last Stand mission. I don't think it would really contribute much to the story to have a massive battle that you never see and don't even participate in. Instead, I think I'm just going to add tons of low/medium level baddies to Sovngard as planned, then figure out a way to allow you to bring a small force of allies from the various factions (Blades, Companions, mages, Stormcloaks or legionaries, etc.). That way, you can play The World Eater's Eyrie as a solo mission or an all-out assault.

I like where this is going, especially the part about making speech skills matter. Sometimes I wonder why Elder Scrolls even bothers with that skill, since it affects so little in vanilla.

I'm also in favor of the flashback scene. Sure you can't come up with every single origin possibility, but adding a couple nods to classic archetypes couldn't hurt. I would have loved to see my character half way through a successful robbery of Darkwater, then -- oops, out or nowhere you get arrested for happening to be within the vicinity of a known rebel camp. I don't know, just sounds fun. Maybe this would be better as a separate mod or an optional add-on to this one.

I like where this is going, especially the part about making speech skills matter. Sometimes I wonder why Elder Scrolls even bothers with that skill, since it affects so little in vanilla.

I'm also in favor of the flashback scene. Sure you can't come up with every single origin possibility, but adding a couple nods to classic archetypes couldn't hurt. I would have loved to see my character half way through a successful robbery of Darkwater, then -- oops, out or nowhere you get arrested for happening to be within the vicinity of a known rebel camp. I don't know, just sounds fun. Maybe this would be better as a separate mod or an optional add-on to this one.

I kinda agree with shotgun 188 that it might ruin the experience for some people. Maybe. if enough people want to see the origin/background idea, I could simply make an optional file that starts the character at the border near Darkwater Crossing. You can do whatever you want, make up your own background story, but if you go to Darkwater Crossing, for any reason, you will get captured and taken to Helgen.

I'm going to try to make this compatible with Arthmoor's "Alternate Start - Live Another Life" mod, so there's always that option.

The Imperials captured Ulfric in an ambush near the Cyrodillic border right? Doesn't Hadvar say when your a Nord 'You picked a bad time to come home to Skyrim, kinsman.' You where supposed to go to Skyrim but you've crossed the border at the wrong place at the wrong time. You don't belong to the Stormcloak execution and so does Lokir (he actually does belong to get punished because he stole a horse but not the execution was meant for Stormcloaks only)

sources:

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Lokir

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Unbound

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Hadvar

Skyrim

The Imperials captured Ulfric in an ambush near the Cyrodillic border right? Doesn't Hadvar say when your a Nord 'You picked a bad time to come home to Skyrim, kinsman.' You where supposed to go to Skyrim but you've crossed the border at the wrong place at the wrong time. You don't belong to the Stormcloak execution and so does Lokir (he actually does belong to get punished because he stole a horse but not the execution was meant for Stormcloaks only)

sources:

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Lokir

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Unbound

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Hadvar

Skyrim

Ralof tells you that Tullius' ambush took place in Darkwater Crossing two days prior to the execution in Helgen (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Darkwater_Crossing).

Honestly, at this point, putting any kind of quest before Helgen, or making a flashback scene, is way beyond the scope of my scripting knowledge. I'm going to focus on the stuff like delaying Bleak Falls Barrow and expanding the Greybeard's training for now. If I ever get anyone to help me with scripting, or if magically figure it out myself, I might try it.

i also wish what u DID in the world DID MATTER, and had out comes... while ppl new who u where when u walked passed (prased or caused at) and ur name grew giving u more quest depending on ur liked and not liked statues. and they may or may not know who u are at the time. also theres a war going on so i wish u would see a lot more of that .

PROGRESS REPORT

Success! I've managed to get the scripts working, effectively delaying "Bleak Falls Barrow." All I need to do now is set up the conditions that will tell the courier to deliver the note that will initiate "Bleak Falls Barrow."

My question to all of you is, what do you think this condition should be? As I've mentioned before, I'm strongly leaning putting a two weeks wait before the note is sent, but I'm open to other ideas. As of yet, I haven't actually figured out how to script that, so I might make it level-dependent instead. Let me know what you all think!

- - - - -

i also wish what u DID in the world DID MATTER, and had out comes... while ppl new who u where when u walked passed (prased or caused at) and ur name grew giving u more quest depending on ur liked and not liked statues. and they may or may not know who u are at the time. also theres a war going on so i wish u would see a lot more of that .

Yeah, I'd like to see that myself. Skyrim is definitely lacking in consequence. I had a mod idea which I dubbed The Way of the Voice (http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/636434-the-way-of-the-voice), and part of this idea was to create a system for tracking the player's decisions and assigning a "morality score" that would affect which radiant quests they received. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to create such a system, so that idea is at the mercy of the community :/ If I ever manage to figure it out, I might integrate that mod into this one.

You could set the condition as bounty quest dependent or earning approvals from side quests. The Jarl acknowledge db competency and sends him/her a the letter. Edited by Drakescale

You could set the condition as bounty quest dependent or earning approvals from side quests. The Jarl acknowledge db competency and sends him/her a the letter.

That's actually a great idea! It would work perfectly with my dialogue rewrites too.

As it is, the dialogue I wrote goes about like this:

Jarl Balgruuf: Well done. You sought me out, on your own initiative. You've done Whiterun a service, and I won't forget it. Here, take this as a small token of my esteem. <gives reward>

Player Character: (gracious) Thank you, my Lord. It was an honor to be of service. / (disinterested) Thanks. Now if that's all, I think I'll take my leave.

JB: This is but a taste of things to come, my friend. I may need your help again, in the days ahead.

PC: (eager) And you shall have it. / (reluctant) I want no part in this dragon business. I have enough problems of my own...

JB: (if eager) Very good! Well until then, speak to my steward, Proventus, if you are looking for work. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to begin making preparations, in the event that dragon should dare show itself here. Gods help us! / (if reluctant) Fair enough, but the day may come when we no longer have the luxuy of choice. If you change your mind, my steward Proventus may have some work for you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to begin making preparations, in the event that dragon should dare show itself here. Gods help us!

That's just a rough draft. I'll probably be tweaking it some before I record the audio. In any case, he does recommend talking to Proventus for work, so it gives you the sense that you're earning his trust and building up to more important tasks. I could set up the quest pre-requisites to be completion of 3 Whiterun bounty side-quests OR reaching a certain level (e.g. level 10?) -- whichever happens first -- so even if you don't bother with the bounty quests, you'll still eventually get the courier's note.

I do have one concern though: Is there any way the player could meet both of these conditions before even visiting the Jarl, thus causing the courier to visit them immediately upon finishing Before the Storm? I don't think it would be possible, since I'm pretty sure you can't get more than one bounty quest per hold at a time, but of course, I haven't tested this.

Anyway, thanks for the input, Drakescale! I'm going to try your idea, and once I have it working, I'll upload the mod to the nexus for testing.

- - - - -

Edit: Anyone who has any advice, suggestions, or constructive criticism for my dialogue, feel free to let me know :)

Edited by behughes