ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Disable music in ini's?

Staind716

As the title says I just want to disable the music in my ini files without screwing up any sound effects or anything else that I need. Does anybody know exactly which ones to change to disable only the music? Since I turn mine off completely anyway I might as well just disable it and see if maybe I can get a slight performance increase from it this way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :smile: Edited by Staind716

hi Staind716, hmmm, i haven't spotted an available setting for skyrim.ini [audio] that will specifically toggle only music on or off either.

guess you're only left with the in-game system tab <esc>, settings, audio, music volume slider.

you might have some luck experimenting with console command 'removemusic'; for example: 'removemusic MUScombatcivilwar'.

maybe, create a batch with all the 'mus_*.* listed in 'Skyrim - Sounds.bsa' music folder; or go nutz and

bruteforce disable all mus files by renaming the music folder in that bsa (game crasher?).

alternatively, extract the bsa then disable it (remove from skyrim.ini [Archive] also), then rename/disable the loose files folder 'music'.

would be interesting to know how much performance overhead skyrim music playback actually uses..

hmm I really think it doesn't really affect your game, so if you are looking for more performance - disabling the music isn't the answer Edited by ScorpionHunter

No big deal. I wasn't trying to do it strictly to get more performance but since I don't use the music I was curious as to whether it would give some sort of performance increase by disabling it completely. And thanks, xlcr, that sounds like a real ordeal and very possible game crasher but since I have a complete backup of my game and ini's on my desktop I may give it a shot just to see what happens. I will let you know how it works out. :smile:

I'm working on a mod that may help you with this. Of course, that doesn't help you right now but it may be something to consider when it's ready. But I'll tell you this, disabling the music - as opposed to just setting the volume to 0 has a surprising effect on performance. I just need to work out a more user-friendly way of doing it.

It drastically improves all load times, which is always good.

I'm working on a mod that may help you with this. Of course, that doesn't help you right now but it may be something to consider when it's ready. But I'll tell you this, disabling the music - as opposed to just setting the volume to 0 has a surprising effect on performance. I just need to work out a more user-friendly way of doing it.

It drastically improves all load times, which is always good.

Thanks. I will be looking forward to this. I was thinking that it would have at least a slight and maybe even a significant performance increase since I imagine it takes a good bit of resources to constantly play the music in the game. Let me know when you have this ready and I will be happy to be the guinea pig. It's not like my game is lagging or I am having performance issues right now but if I can get a boost by disabling something I am not using anyway then it only makes sense to do it. :smile:

Edited by Staind716