3D software for modeling

netson

so ive had blender (but i started to use it and had a lot of issues i didnt knew why i couldnt do this and that)

then i picked google sketchup (free version) but then i get to extrude and i get some walls (well its suposed to be a design program and not object modeling).

so what would be a good program to make weapons (that can export obj to use for skyrim mooding) that is acessible and preferencially free (and please no time limited trials)

As far as I know, the nif import scripts only exist for 3 tools:

• Blender 2.49b (not the latest version because the nif scripts are incompatible) is the Skyrim standard. Your "issues" can most likely be solved and while learning the tool is not easy, it is rewarding when you do figure it out.
  • 3ds Max 2012 has a price tag in the "city car" range unless you are a student (I assume this means design student), in which case you can (and probably already did) apply for a free licence.
  • Maya, in the "insane overkill" category.

Edited by EnaiSiaion

Nah, I'm a non-design student and I managed a free copy of Max (and Maya, some architecture software and a fluid dynamics program :biggrin: )

That said, 3DxMax and Maya are probably both overkill. I've never used Blender since I've used max for years now, but I imagine it would be easier to learn and implement quickly.

Edited by Jakisthe

Blender has a lot of tutorials, including the very useful "noob to pro" tutorial (for the latest version, but just use the wiki history to browse back to 2.49b) and various Skyrim modeling tutorials.

For serious 3D modeling you'll probably end up using 3ds Max at some point, but making Skyrim weapons is not "serious 3D modeling" and if you cannot obtain a cheap licence of Photoshop the textures will bottleneck you anyway.

Hi guys, I kinda dabble in 3D and I've used SketchUp before, that said can Skyrim allow SketchUp .skp file?

If it does that would be so cool but if not you guys recommend Blender. I'm still doing some research on this and if you guys would be kind enough to post links for how I can get started that would be very cool.

Thanks in advance.

i was trying to make the Heavenly Sword from the game but i came to the extrude point and the extrude option in sketchup seems terrible.

i was doing a weapon because it was just a simple test to start with

my objective would be making quests where the reward would be those weapons/gears.

Hi guys, I kinda dabble in 3D and I've used SketchUp before, that said can Skyrim allow SketchUp .skp file?

If it does that would be so cool but if not you guys recommend Blender. I'm still doing some research on this and if you guys would be kind enough to post links for how I can get started that would be very cool.

Thanks in advance.

Actually, that's how i started creating weapons for skyrim; Model in SU, export a .OBJ to Blender to UVmap the model, create the textures using GIMP, put it all together in Nifskope. (UVmapping means projecting the 3d model's vertices onto a 2d plane in order to create a template for the texture)

But that was just because i sucked at modelling in blender itself.

But along the way i learned to model in blender, so i barely use SU these days.

So my current setup looks like this:

1. Model in blender

2. UVmap in blender

3. Export .OBJ

3. Texture in GIMP

4. set correct scale/rotation and add texture links to models in nifskope.

I could add some links to the software if you'd like (since its all free software.)

as for tutorials on how to do stuff, check my sig. It contains quite a lot of links ment for starting modders :) (Which i myself are probably one of :P )