So, following my previous post about my game crashning after I installed Enhanced Shaders

(here's a link: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6367596-enhanced-shaders-enb-brakes-the-game/)

I have made a few more attempts and it seems like my whole game isn't broken. Just my 4GB patcher. I tried opening the game through the custom Steam shortcut and my Script Extender, and it SEEMS to be working. Except that apperently my computer can't think fast enough with Enhanced Shaders on, everything's buggy, things disappear, and there's lag. I'm guessing this is exactly what 4GB Patcher is for, but mine stopeed working the moment I installed Enhanced Shaders (which I've never done before myself, my friend did it for me).

I've installed Enhanced Shaders following the instructions on a YouTube video guide (to which the link I provided in my previous post, that I've mentioned) so I'm assuming that either that guide is faulty or there's something else I don't know about.

Anyway, if anyone knows a fix to this, I'd appresciate it a lot. Should I just re-install 4GB Patcher? Should get rid of Enhanced Shaders all together and take my chances without it? If so, what does it take to re-install it?

Finally, no game progress is at risk here. I just recently installed my New Vegas again following a long brake from it, so I wanted to start a new game. So if you want to suggest something that would otherwise delete all progress, go ahead. Just please, no jokes.

You are under a misapprehension. The 4GB Patch has nothing directly to do with "Enhanced Shaders" or ENB. ALL that it does is modify a single flag in the file header of the executable (and DLLs) to tell the OS that they can handle addresses beyond 2GB (and up to 4GB, which is the limit a 32-bit game can address); and fixes it so the Steam loader doesn't choke on the modification. Please see the "2-4GB game memory limits and solutions" article in my signature if you want details on how this works.

ENB is not directly supported on Win10, because the author does not have it, and has no intention of getting it. So (unless someone gifts him with a copy), it is up to the community to figure out the solutions to any problems. Most of them have to do with improper installation and settings. For instance, ENB is expecting vanilla 2.0 shaders; not 3.0 ones. Please see the 'Solutions to Post-Processor (ENB/SweetFX et. al.) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

But why do you think your problem is elated to ENB or Enhanced Shaders? As I replied in the other thread: please provide a "sorted load order" and see the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

So, following my previous post about my game crashning after I installed Enhanced Shaders

(here's a link: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6367596-enhanced-shaders-enb-brakes-the-game/)

I have made a few more attempts and it seems like my whole game isn't broken. Just my 4GB patcher. I tried opening the game through the custom Steam shortcut and my Script Extender, and it SEEMS to be working. Except that apperently my computer can't think fast enough with Enhanced Shaders on, everything's buggy, things disappear, and there's lag. I'm guessing this is exactly what 4GB Patcher is for, but mine stopeed working the moment I installed Enhanced Shaders (which I've never done before myself, my friend did it for me).

I've installed Enhanced Shaders following the instructions on a YouTube video guide (to which the link I provided in my previous post, that I've mentioned) so I'm assuming that either that guide is faulty or there's something else I don't know about.

Anyway, if anyone knows a fix to this, I'd appresciate it a lot. Should I just re-install 4GB Patcher? Should get rid of Enhanced Shaders all together and take my chances without it? If so, what does it take to re-install it?

Finally, no game progress is at risk here. I just recently installed my New Vegas again following a long brake from it, so I wanted to start a new game. So if you want to suggest something that would otherwise delete all progress, go ahead. Just please, no jokes.

Well, I think Enhanced Shaders or maybe the way I installed it following the instructiosn in that video caused the problem, because until then my 4GB Patcher worked fine. I literally ran the game after each install, and the problems started following the installation of Shaders.

As for my load order, there's not much to go with here. Like I said, I only recently started installing the game after a long haitus, that includes the mods. Literally, all the mods I have installed so far, are the ones that are supposed to fix the game; Mission Mojave, Anti-Crash, Stutter Remover, User Interface Organizer, JIP LN NVSE Plugin, and Zan AutoPurge Crash Protector.

That's a solid reason to suspect that mod.

"Enhanced Shaders" is a "pre-set" for ENB. There are actually four mods with that as part of their name on Nexus (two of which are by tapioks, one of which I actually used myself). It's always helpful when you provide a link to the one you are using so people are talking about the same mod; but I doubt it matters in this instance.

A "pre-set" is just a set of tweaks to the default settings. So, if things are working fine without that pre-set, the problem lies with it's settings for your system. Suggest you give a look at the 'Issue: Problems using ENB/SweetFX alongside FNV4GB' entry under the 'Solutions to Post-Processor (ENB/SweetFX et. al.) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide, which includes links to several "pre-set" managers. That at least will let you easily revert back to default after trying out your own tweaks.

The problem I have with videos (as a professional troubleshooter) is that they are accurate as far as the system they were installed upon. They have their place. But they seldom cover "contingencies" for when things are different or go wrong. For that you need to understand the "why" behind various choices; and written guides are more likely to cover such points. But consequently they are more complex. The 'Solutions to Post-Processor (ENB/SweetFX et. al.) problems' section covers those I am aware of. No claims it covers everything, but it does cover all the solutions I have been able to research over the years.

The only suggestion I have on that short mod list is: Do not use an "Auto-purge" mod for game play. (That was old advice from before we knew better.) They are designed for debugging by mod creator's only, according to the author of the JIP extensions to NVSE. See the 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu', "Cause-2", "Solution-3" entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide for the game settings that do the same job.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

In that case, I'm using this one; https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49882/

And of the four files they have, I selected the one labeled "NEUTRAL".

I looked at the section you recommended, they just say to use 4GB Patcher instead, which I have this whole time. Maybe I should read more into it, but I just can't help but think that maybe I should just simply re-install the whole thing and just NOT use those shaders anymore. The only reason I tried them in the first place is because everyone recommended it, but my game worked well enough with just the patcher and Script Extender, along with a few other game fixing mods including Anti-Crash and Mission Mojave. The 4GB Patcher is way more important, hell it is mandatory for some mods I want to use, like "Open Freeside". As I said before, nothing is really at stake here. I could just start from scratch by re-installing the game, but the question is, when I do uninstall New Vegas, will that also uninstall all the 4GB Patcher, Script Extender and Enhanced Shaders stuff that had to be installed manually? Because, you know, they all required files to be moved into the game directory.

That's the pre-set I used as well, so there isn't anything inherently wrong with it. Must be an issue specific to your system.

Not sure which of the several sections I've mentioned you are referring to, but none of them simply say "use 4GB Patcher instead". It's only a small part of any solution, solely to enable the game to use more memory. Adjusting the default "heap size" is usually needed as well if you are having CTDs, just for an example.

If you want to re-install to clear out ENB, that might be the easiest solution for you. Please see the 'Game INI files', and 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' entries in the 'First Timer Advice' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. If it is done properly then the folder where the game currently resides should be empty after uninstalling. So, yes it will require manually reinstalling those mods but it's not that hard. Just unpack them from any archive into another folder and then drag-and-drop where they belong. It is also important that you remove the current versions of the INI files in your "Users" folders, as they were supposed to be modified for ENB. They will be rebuilt when you run the "FalloutNVLauncher" the first time after re-installing. Your save game files should not be affected.

Similar applies to settings on your video card. Those are covered under 'Issue: ENB is not working', Cause 1, Solution 1b, step 4 in the 'Solutions to Post-Processor (ENB/SweetFX et. al.) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent