Quest work, then well.. Dont.

Maleagant

So, I am noticing that when you create a quest,if done right they work..... For awhile.

Then, all of a sudden you log on after adding something to the game and find that the earlier part of your quest line which worked perfectly and which you haven't touched, doesn't work anymore.

Example:

I created an NPC who has a quest for an event later on in your game, you can still talk to him as he has dialog that is not quest related, in order to get the quest for his "scene" you have to recieve a letter from the courier.

Made the quest, worked perfectly.

Changed a chair in the same area, and suddenly the entire quest is broken including the NPCs unrelated Dialog. Even the note part doesn't work now. So.. youd think putting the chair back or undoing the change would fix the issue right? Wrong. Think disabling the mod saving fresh and restarting would fix it? Wrong again. What about rewriting the entire quest line?... Yep this fixes it.

The funny thing is though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original quest as the rewritten version is exactly the same, Npc for NPc, Script for script, Dialog for Dialog.

It's like if you make a quest, the creation kit does something to it to mess it up, and then even if everything is 100% perfect, it still wont work and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

So after rewriting this quest line 5 times now, I find myself going WTF is the point? You spend weeks doing this and then it just stops working and nothing you can do will fix it because the error is not on your end?.

Anyone else having this issue and is there something I am missing?

thanks

Not having this issue but Bethesda is known for releasing buggy titles hence they have buggy engines. If you would ask me moving the chair may had something to do with it since there are scripts run every second you dont even know the existence of, but it may also be a couincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have that issea, sadly!~

I've redone a quest now twice and just 15minuts ago after placing 2 patrol markers for a creature in a completly other interior...

3rd time, Bam! no dialogue options that are to start up the quest...

All nice and well and i don't mind these faulths, but i do mind doing the same thing three times over... So if anyone knows a solution for this, please share.

(Undo stuff doesn't help, the only thing that does help as stated by the orignal writeer... redo the complete quest)

Are you sure you didn't mess something with aliases?

The only time my quest got f***** up was when i made a alias pointing to a non existing object (a disabled note) and i didn't tag it as "optional". This way the quest failed to fill all the aliases and didn't start.

Maybe that chair was a alias? I'm only guessing :O

I'm not sure if it's just a case of not loading the right save game. This happened to me two days ago, after I had completely finished work on my mod and wanted to do a complete test of it. I loaded 5-6 different save games (with no other mods whatsoever), and my custom made NPC just refused to have any of the custom dialogue I gave him.

Several minutes later, after a few restarts and saves it just worked out of the blue.

If it's something well known maybe someone could find a solution.