Save game crashes

I can't see OBSE being the root of the problem ... more likely one of those more recently added mods. Your idea of moving your saves out of the Oblivion\Saves folder is a good one. Having a large number of saves in your saves folder slows the game menus etc down. I have a backup folder outside of all the game folders that I use. As soon as I notice the menus getting a bit slower to open I clean house (I'm a packrat, so I don't delete much of anything, just move it around).

If I'm understanding you correctly your game works fine after the re-install with no mods. It sounds like you added all your old mods (including the more recently added mods) and then the same thing happened. You removed the more recent mods and it still wouldn't work. It could be that the more recent mods are making changes that only re-installing is able to undo.

What I would do is re-install the game using Bben46's wiki article as a guide, confirm good operation with just vanilla Oblivion. Then I would install OBSE and OBMM, again confirming good operation between. In OBMM use the Utilities button and Archive Invalidation to set BSA Redirection. Leave all the other options at their default values and close OBMM (it doesn't actually make any changes until it closes ... it doesn't have a 'save' button). BSA Redirection is a do once and forget about it solution to archive invalidation and is the recommended method these days.

Next you have a choice to make. Either add all your old mods and confirm good operation with them but none of the more recently added mods (which should in theory work, but if it fails you're back to the re-install the game step), and then add your more recent mods one at a time and test thoroughly in between (and when it breaks you may need to go back to the re-install the game step, this time a little wiser). The other more conservative option is to add your mods one at a time, testing in between. If it's a long list that could take quite some time.

The other option I considered but I'm not sure it will have much value in troubleshooting is adding just the more recently added mods to the working vanilla game. About the only thing that would prove though is whether or not they are compatible with the vanilla game (information that may be more easily acquired by reading through the mod comments for the mods in question). The other aspect that makes this option less useful is that if the game runs fine with all the more recent mods you still won't have a short list of what the conflict is with your old mods.

Edited by Striker879