Advice and help for Oblivion Mod Setup

Maxrebo

I've been planning to do a play through of modded Oblivion for a really long time,I just never got around to it,at first because my old computer couldn't run it that well,so a heavily modded install wasn't gonna be a thing and then it was just making the time.But with the start of Sorcererdave's 3rd Oblivion LP it really made want to start a play-through soon.So I came to the nexus looking in all the mod categories pick out mods that interested me then narrowed that down further into mods I want to use in my play through,also looking at Bevilex's guide and what Dave is using in his LP.

So here is my proposed mod list for my installation using the version from GOG.

Quick note:I haven't installed any mods yet or anything like that,my list separated by mod category and obviously not in load order.

So my questions are

1.How does this plan look, any suggestions\recommendations,alterations\changes you would make or does it look good ? (I might not some mods listed because I decided I didn't want to use it or I just didn't know about or think about it so any suggestions are welcome)

2.What Mod Organizer is recommended Wrye Bash or Mod Organizer with OBMM for OMOD files ? (I know certain mods like Darnified UI are a pain to install if not using the OMOD version)

3.I have Vanilla Combat Enhanced on my list because I do want some kind of mod to improve combat to help further alleviate the issue that enemies become damage sponges at higher levels,is this mod recommended or do you have a different recommendation ? ( I not using Deadly Reflex because it I don't particular care for some of its changes.)

4.How does Mart's Monster Mod work,do I get all the monsters included in the mod or do I get to choose which I encounter so I can filter out monsters that aren't lore friendly ?

I am not sure if I am forgetting anything but any advice is appreciated.

personally , I played Oblivion a few weeks ago , and I used https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/48113 as a basis for a mod list

I didn't follow it 100% , as I removed some mods from it , and used other mods instead (took some stuff from http://wiki.step-project.com/User_talk:Diana_TES_GotH/Morroblivion_Overhaul as well)

I tried using Mod Organizer for this (and I've used it successfully several times , for other games) , but I had some issues with it , so I ended up using Wrye Bash for the first time (and it was quite easy to use) , with TESModManager (it's a more modern OBMM , and it's quite recommended for use)

having said that , I do want to point out a few things

Oblivion is a really poorly optimized game , and it doesn't really utilize your system to it's fullest

and even if you can run Skyrim without any problems , consider the fact that Oblivion has foliage (and quite dense foliage at that) , and it generally runs a lot worse than Skyrim

so you might want to test how your PC handles the game with a few graphic mods , as it may not run so well

for me , Better Cities was a wonderful mod to have , except that city interiors and exterior ran horribly (I used a tool to manage FPS , at times it set load distance to 0 around the cities , so the game only loaded things a few feet ahead of my character)

so as much as I enjoyed the content of Better Cities , I can't recommend it unless you know your PC can handle it

as for MMM (or mods like it) , I don't think they usually provide a lore friendly version , and I don't think any of them allow you to choose which creatures will spawn (there was no MCM for Oblivion , and I doubt someone will go through the trouble of putting this in an installer)

so if you are really going for lore friendly , I don't think you will enjoy these mods

I hope you can use the links I put here to try and create your own mod list , with the mods you really want

and these should provide you with plenty of options to choose from

if you are not using Deadly Reflex I have suggestion, this mod --> https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47002

also for better combat experience try this

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/48244

several tips :

- Streamline --> you should not use this, I heard it can cause your game become unstable. for auto purge you should trust OR mod (Oblivion Reloaded)

- Borderless Cyrodiil --> is not needed I think ?? to travel outside border make sure you set this value in your oblivion ini file

bBorderRegionsEnabled=0

bEnableBorderRegion=0

- Oblivion Script Optimzation --> I think this mod is obsolete, use latest UOP instead (Unofficial Oblivion Patch)

- No More Quest Items --> take a note when using mod like this, because could break some quest. there is many quests that using validation for quest item need in player's inventory

note : there is mod 'Spell Delete and Item Removal' in your load order means 'No More Quest Items' is obsolete

- Enhanced Economy --> remember to install this patch https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47184

- Return the Stolen Items --> there is better alternative here https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/48196

- Keyring --> if you use one of Darn UI series, this mod is not needed

- Keychain Shivering Isles Compatibility Addon --> if you use one of Darn UI series, this mod is not needed

- Denock Arrow --> here's better alternative https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47008

- Stirk --> I heard this mod could cause issue (need confirm)

- Oblivion Graphics Extender --> don't use this mod if you choose OR in your load order, OBGE is old version of OR

So after reading your posts and the two linked guides I refined my list some more

Here's an update

I removed MMM,Streamline,Oblivion Script Optimization,No More Quest Items,Keyring,Keychain Shivering Isles,OBGE,Stirk and Denock Arrow from my list.

I made sure to include the enhanced economy patch to my list,The mod return stole items as nothing to do with thievery but instead allows you to return the items stolen by the Sirens to their owners and denock arrow is handled by COBL.

As far as combat mods are concerned I think I will stick just with Vanilla Combat Enhanced,since it seem to accomplish what I am looking for without tacking on a lot of bells and whistles I don't want.

I should be able to run Better Cities,Unique Landscapes and other graphical mods just fine since this is a new computer from the one I mentioned in my first post.

I also removed the mods Minotaur Encampment,Glenmoril Covens and Productive Mine to since they seem to conflict with UL.

I do have some more questions.

1.My monitors resolution is 1920x1080 so if I were to set a custom FOV would I need this mod,https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47696 ?

2.Which ENB would you reccomend between Eidolon and KD ENB for Oblivion Reloaded,or do you reccomend forgoing ENB's and just using the ENBoost Memory Patch ?

3.I am having a hard time choosing between CC's Skyblivion Ayleid Ruins Retexture and Gecko's Aylied Ruin Retexture V2 No Paralax ?

Any other thoughts or advice.

Edited by Maxrebo

After going through my list multiple times and asking questions I have update my planned mod list here it is.

I am gonna be forgoing MMM so I have no need for a mod to control what spawns when.

I do have a couple of question however,

1.What's everyone thought when it comes to Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul,when it comes to lore friendliness and general quality especially when paired with OOO because from what I've read MOO is very customize able and doesn't conflict with a lot stuff,but I still find myself on the fence when comes to weather I want to use it.What are your thoughts on and is it true that I can disable aspects or creature I don't find lore friendly like the Mimics for example ?

2.Do any of you use Oblivifall Losing my Religion if so do you use it alongside Better Cities,I am asking because I am wondering if the incompatibilities have been fixed?

3.How does my list look now in terms of Compatibility and Stability but also in terms of am I missing anything?

the only question I can answer here is the first one , about MOO

my recent playthrough was with MOO , and I found it a very pleasant mod to use

not everything about it is lore friendly , but the mod itself is really customizable , especially considering the way it's all done

basically , almost everything in the mod is dictated by a set of ini files , and you can edit them quite easily

moreover , the mod has one of the most comprehensive and detailed readme files , with basically everything you need to know , and it will tell you how to approach the specific edits you want to make

that with the ini files also being really easy to read (every line has an explanation , and a list of accepted values) , makes it really easy to customize to your liking

I wholeheartedly recommend that you give MOO a go , it is a wonderful mod , that is still being updated to this day (very few mods get this kind of treatment)

I suggest that you try my main mod project called AoG (it's in my signature)

it is very customizeable,

plus you can edit many settings in-game just like that

several of AoG features is not lore friendly I admit

but trust me, you'll see a better world of Oblivion in different perspective~

So I will be using MOO and I have also added AOG Is anybody Home and Greed Snatcher to my mod list.So as soon I find out about questions 2 and 3 I think I will be start setting up my install and doing testing soon.