Converted mods to ESLs and now game won't load past Main Menu? PLZ HELP :'(

Tylersteinfeldt01

So like the title says, I converted mods in my load order to ESLs (for personal use) and now I can't play. I followed the rules, mods with less than 2048 records and change the flags and file extensions. Everything runs fine in FO4 Edit 3.2.1 . . . . I have no clue what could be wrong, I really don't think its hardware related, I have a high end pc. . . .Any help would be very appreciated. Please and Thank you!

My load order

Edited by Tylersteinfeldt01

wow that's a lot of .esl files you converted, hopefully you did at least some testing during that process to make sure they were working? before mentioning the mods you converted to .esl, are you trying to load a save from an already existing playthrough or a new game?

I tested a couple that's why I thought I was doing good and reducing my load order from 255 to 166 esps. I tried loading a vanilla save, new game and modded save. All cause issues now though, even the ones I tested that worked previously. I made sure that they had no esps as masters, and am up to date with nmm, ck, fo4edit, loot, f4se, and fo4. . I think I should reinstall my back up esps. . Maybe try again at some point. . .

This just really gets me frustrated, I followed all the steps and it worked a couple times, maybe I just edited more than I should have, but I stayed under 2048 records per esl and obviously under the 300-4000 eso limit. .

I used the steps for doing it in fo4edit and i read somewhere there's more than just changing a flag and file ext if you do it in CK. . Maybe I need to try it that way?

Edited by Tylersteinfeldt01

The limit of 2048 new records in ESL comes from the available range of FormID numbers it can contain. You can have a plugin with a single record, but it won't work as ESL if it's FormID is out of range. The max raw FormID number for new records in ESL is xx0003FF (the min is xx000800 hence 2048 records in total), anything above that won't work. This is what CK does when it compacts FormIDs for ESL - it tries to renumber all new records to be in this range.

So you can convert ESP to ESL with FO4Edit but you need to make sure that there are no out of range records and either renumber them yourself manually or use CK. Simply checking the number of records in plugin is not enough.