is N.M.M makeing the community dumb?

NightmareRex

i noticed thugh the years thugh varius internet post and steam friends that the NMM while helping more computer illeterate to be able to easily use mods, it has also seemed to dumb down meany whom used to seem to be much smarter.

post around fallout 3 and nv early days would say stuff like "if you cant figure out simple dirrectories then you really shouldent be modding games in the first place" now its "ugh no NMM download how am i going to use this i cant use this wah" - comming from someone whom once manualy installed mods almost all the time.

it is a well known fact when something becomes a convience after a while it becomes a burdon and now becomes something "required" like if an EMP were to hit the US 90% would die even if no nuclear radiation was present from the simple fact lots no longer know how to even get a camp fire going.

NMM: the good: 1. allows faster installation of mods so no longer have to download 8 mods at a time then find out you forgot to install a wanted or even required mod. 2. allows normies the ability to mod. 3. i think most important is the uninstall of mods more than install since even me, a manual installer will forget what files need to be removed to uninstall a mod 100%.

NMM: the bad: 1. allows those who are computer illeterate or just beginning to learn can install mods but then comes the price of ofton never acualy learning how to deal with manual installations if ever needed to be. 2. lots whom did once install manualy become lazy and sometimes even start forgetting simple stuff, were all guilty of that as we become smarter on computers we ofton forget the basics and even i go for help on computer for things i used to be able to find easy.

3. allows those who dont know what they are doing to then try a mod and then give a bad review since diddent realize mod was a beta or incomplete in the first place.

4. some other points that i may of forgotton in both good and bad.

my personal opinion is that this has nothing to do with NMM , or any mod manager

the way I see this , is that the Nexus has become a huge sensation over the past few years , especially relative to the much smaller community it had when I first joined the site (around the time I started modding FO3)

and with the increase in community size , many less tech savvy people have joined up (which is fine)

the real problem (or how I see it) , is that people are hogging the forums with requests for aid , which could have easily been solved by either looking at older threads , reading the instructions provided by mods , or searching on Google

and as someone who actively tries to help as many of these people as I can , I see all too many posts that could have been solved this way , though I choose to try and assist rather than just direct people to search on Google or something

the issue with many people is that they just don't realize that modding a game isn't a piece of cake , nor do they understand what it usually takes to do so (the process of applying mods , or the process of creating them , as seen with sheer amount of mod requests that are added on a daily basis , most of which fall on deaf ears)

It's nice that the mod managers try to simply these processes (like most of modern technology tries to do , as it try to open the way for less inclined people to also be able to enjoy it's benefits)

the problem becomes the fact that people seem to actively ignore all tutorials and instructions , expecting everything to fix itself or fall into place magically

so in my eyes the problem is how people view these tools (and what they expect them to do) , rather than the tools themselves , which are at fault here

but I do feel some sort of obligation , as someone with a decent amount of experience , to share it with newer users , and try to help them start their journey here (hopefully through this they will learn how to become more self sufficient , and one day return to help new members in turn)