Assault Rifle/Machine Gun Changes

Howdy! I'm rather new to making mods for Fallout 4, and I'm having some problems. I want to effectively combine a couple existing mods (in particular these two) to make the "Assault Rifle" more consistent with it's original concept (a .50 caliber machine gun, ideally paired with power armor). I wish to;

-Change the name
-Make the weapon use .50 cal rounds
-Reduce the overall fire rate (113 to 90, possibly less)
-Increase the damage
-Nix any semi-automatic mods and the marksman stock (similar to the submachine gun's stable of modifications)
-Change the perk requirements for creating receiver mods

-Change the associated damage perk from Rifleman to Big Guns

I know how to accomplish the first four things using the Creation Kit. However, I can't figure out how to accomplish the other three things, and I simply can't find a good tutorial anywhere that helps. I'm hoping someone on here might have an idea.

Thanks!

EDIT:

After a few hours of twiddling and some help from JackRob, it's done! Here's the link: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/30263

Edited by undercarriage

For point 5 and 6, you will need to edit the Constructible Objects (Essentially Recipes) of the weapon mods. For the Assault Rifle, the editor Id will start with "co_mod_AssaultRifle_<weaponpart>".

To accomplish point 5, you can simply switch the Created Object to NONE on the parts that you don't want to show up.

Point 6 is simply changing the conditions found on the recipes.

For your last point, look into the "Object Mod" catagory and find the Assault Rifle's Grips (Stocks). On each of them there's an entry that adds the keyword "WeaponTypeRifle", you'll want to remove all these entries on all 4 grips. Finally add the keyword "WeaponTypeHeavy" on the weapon itself (In the weapon Entry, there's a box on the right for keyword) and the weapon should respond to the Heavy Gunner perk.

Edited by JackRob

For point 5 and 6, you will need to edit the Constructible Objects (Essentially Recipes) of the weapon mods. For the Assault Rifle, the editor Id will start with "co_mod_AssaultRifle_<weaponpart>".

To accomplish point 5, you can simply switch the Created Object to NONE on the parts that you don't want to show up.

Point 6 is simply changing the conditions found on the recipes.

For your last point, look into the "Object Mod" catagory and find the Assault Rifle's Grips (Stocks). On each of them there's an entry that adds the keyword "WeaponTypeRifle", you'll want to remove all these entries on all 4 grips. Finally add the keyword "WeaponTypeHeavy" on the weapon itself (In the weapon Entry, there's a box on the right for keyword) and the weapon should respond to the Heavy Gunner perk.

Ok! I've got a couple quick questions though; Will changing the "Created Object" to NONE on the Constructable Objects section prevent it from showing up at the workbench and from spawning in on the gun? Will it also make the default standard receiver the automatic one, rather than it being the standard semi-auto one? Also, on the grips/stocks entries, the only place where I can put in any entry for keywords is "Workbench Keywords", which is currently set to NONE. Should I change it to "WeaponTypeHeavyGun"? Also, should I remove the keyword "WeaponTypeAssaultRifle" when I add "WeaponTypeHeavy"?

Edited by undercarriage

On the Constructible Objects (Recipes), setting the Create Object to NONE will only prevent it from showing up in the workbench. To prevent the mod(s) from showing up on spawns, you will want to access the "Object Template" found on the weapon entry itself (Editor ID "AssaultRifle"). It will be a button near the top just to the right of the weapon's name. The Object Template is where the game will look to figure out what mods it will attach to the weapon anytime one is spawned. If you have questions after you look around it, go ahead and ask.

Don't look at the Constructible Objects (Recipes) for point 7, you want to look under "Object Mods" and will be looking for Editor IDs "mod_AssaultRifle_Grip_<StockType>" (If fact leave all the recipe filters on the left blank, as the game will pick these up in the workbench as long as the mod is valid for attachment). These are the actual mods that attaches to the weapon and affect the weapon in many ways, including modifying damage, weight, ammo type, and keywords. There will be 4 grips that you will want to remove the mod entry "pkKeywords ADD WeaponTypeRifle" off of each of them. Then back on the actual weapon entry "AssaultRifle", you'll add the "WeaponTypeHeavyGun" on the right. Removing the keyword "WeaponTypeAssaultRifle" will not be necessary, as the perk is only looking for the keyword "WeaponTypeHeavyGun".

EDIT: Actually, now that I reviewed the perk, you don't even need to remove the "WeaponTypeRifle" off the grips, as the Rifleman Perk is conditioned for weapons with WeaponTypeRifle AND no WeaponTypeHeavyGun keywords, just simply adding the "WeaponTypeHeavyGun" to the weapon will break the Rifleman's conditions and will meet conditions for the Heavy Gunner Perk, as it's only looking for the WeaponTypeHeavyGun keyword and won't exclude the weapon if it has the keyword "WeaponTypeRifle".

Edited by JackRob

Great, thanks! I just removed the semi-auto receiver options from showing up in the given templates, and replaced them with automatic1 or modcol auto_any. I'm just having one last problem, and that's changing the base fire rate on the weapon for automatic receivers. I was under the impression that if I changed the Attack Delay Seconds under Game Data, that would adjust the fire rate for both the standard receiver and the automatic receivers. However, reducing this has not reduced the fire rate on automatic receivers OR semi-automatic ones, as far as I can tell.

Attack Delay only works if the weapon is semi-automatic (the flag for automatic at the top unchecked). For automatic weapons, they will use the Attack Speed to determine how fast they shoot. I find that if you set the speed to 1.1, it will produce a rate of fire of 600 rpm if you want to adjust it comparatively to real-life values.

Edit: If I remember correctly, in-game display for rate of fire is # rounds per 10 seconds, so the default 113 means a real rate of fire of 678 round per minute.

Edited by JackRob

Attack Delay only works if the weapon is semi-automatic (the flag for automatic at the top unchecked). For automatic weapons, they will use the Attack Speed to determine how fast they shoot. I find that if you set the speed to 1.1, it will produce a rate of fire of 600 rpm if you want to adjust it comparatively to real-life values.

I'm not quite sure I follow. So, I should change attack speed to change fire rate? Is 600 RPM less than the default fire rate? I want to reduce the fire rate a bit for balance sake. Also, will I need to change the sounds in any way? I figure the weapon uses a loop for automatic fire, so if I reduce the rate too much it would de-synchronize the sound with the shots.

I edited the above with a new tidbit.

The Assault Rifle's Automatic Receivers (mod_AssaultRifle_Receiver_Automatic1/2) adjusts the Weapon's Attack Speed (mod entry "fspeed SET 1.25") to adjust rate of fire. You'll want to edit the values found there instead of the value on the weapon itself, as the receivers will overwrite them.

If you make the values too low, you will run into the problem of stuck looping weapon firing sounds, but from my testing I think this is only happen if you set it to around 0.5 and under, but in case it comes up, I can show you how to replace the automatic loop sound with the semi-auto firing sound.

Ah, okay. So I'll have to adjust it on all of the automatic receivers. That's admittedly a bit of a pain, but I can do that, no problem. I'm thinking I may bring the fspeed down to .99. I'm too stupid to do math, but I'm guessing that that will bring the displayed fire rate to 90. I like nice, round numbers. Just a couple more nit-picky things, and I think I'll be good to go.

Is there a way to make this mod compatible with the Creation Club weapon paint jobs? I still can't figure out how to make that work with the re-named weapon.

Will bringing it down to that number mess up the fire/sound synchronization? Also, it might be helpful if you could tell me how to replace it with the semi-auto firing sound, just in case.

Edited by undercarriage