A question for you laptoppers out there.

varkonasnorse

I have a question maybe some of you that play Skyrim on a laptop might be able to answer. I have the game installed on a Win10 laptop: Intel Celeron N3050 @ 1.6 MHz, 4gb Ram, 64 bit Windows 10 Home.

The game plays fine for the most part, and I get the lag due to the video restrictions of the machine itself. What I don't understand is why it takes so long to page from one cell in the game to the next. Example: On my desktop machine, transitioning through cells takes around 10-12 seconds. Desktop is Intel Core i3 processor 2120, 8gb Ram. On the laptop the same operation takes 30-35 seconds on average. I have increased the Virtual Ram to 2048 which doesn't seem to make a difference at all. If I increase the physical memory to say 8gb, would this make a significant difference or just be a waste of money? :geek:

"virtual memory" in this case is a file on your hard drive. When your PC runs out of physical memory, it will start offloading data to this virtual memory when it can. This increases disk activity/wait times. It seems likely this is your bottleneck - disk access. You could verify this by using performance monitor or similar tools to see if your drive is maxing out on loading cells.

Adding more memory is a good idea - 4GB is a little on the low side and increasing it would reduce the need for virtual memory/paging operations, but swapping out your laptop's slow HDD for a SSD would improve things more I think. Of course, you'd have to reinstall OS etc.

"virtual memory" in this case is a file on your hard drive. When your PC runs out of physical memory, it will start offloading data to this virtual memory when it can. This increases disk activity/wait times. It seems likely this is your bottleneck - disk access. You could verify this by using performance monitor or similar tools to see if your drive is maxing out on loading cells.

Adding more memory is a good idea - 4GB is a little on the low side and increasing it would reduce the need for virtual memory/paging operations, but swapping out your laptop's slow HDD for a SSD would improve things more I think. Of course, you'd have to reinstall OS etc.

Hmm.. It has a 500 GB SATA drive in it. Is that a solid sate or no? Also, would I benefit from running enboost in this machine? I have heard and seen several posts about enb problems that are real hair pulling issues.

Get an SSD, no that is not an SSD. A SSD will greatly improve your load times.

Enboost will let you go beyond the 3.1 gb of ram usage that's computer ram.

Download "Skyrim Performance Monitor" Open it and launch Skyrim from within the

monitor. Check out the results while you play skyrim and transfer between cells. IF you

get an SSD you will see better results.

"increase my physical memory to 8gb"

Depends....let's say that your laptop runs with everything running except for Skyrim and it uses 2gb of ram and than Skyrim takes another 2GB+ ram then yes your topping off and your hitting your limit and that's why you need to run Skyrim Performance monitor. Hit Ctrl+alt+delete to see how much ram your laptop is using that will tell you if you need more ram or not..GL

Edited by tejano2828