ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Improving the accuracy of NPCs; what factors effect NPC accuracy?

I've been trying to find a combination of mods that will give the game the right kind of challenging feel that I like. Despite reducing NPC health sponginess and increasing everyone's damage dramatically I never quite got there. It didn't feel right. *I* was dealing plenty of damage to NPCs, but I almost never took any damage unless a couple of NPCs got me in melee range all at once.

Thennnnnnn a Synth Leader tried to hose me down with laser fire. From thirty feet away. And missed. About 90 times.

THE NPCS CAN'T HIT A GODDAMN THING!

So I'm looking for a couple of things

1.) What factors control an NPCs accuracy? Is it their SPECIAL Perception stat? The weapon's accuracy? Some other factor?

2.) What controls an NPCs reaction time? How fast they react to a threat and start shooting?

3.) What controls an NPCs decisions to fire, as opposed to do something else like look for cover?

Ideally I'd like to make the NPCs react to the player much more quickly, shoot more often, and shoot accurately. As it stands I can blithely run in to machine gun fire or even ignore it completely and unless I have about a dozen NPCs unloading with automatics at fairly close range I'll be fine. If anyone can help me figure out where those factors are controlled in the GECK I'd appreciate it muchly!

Okay, reporting back: I did find an "Accuracy Mult" field in the combat styles. I think that might be what I'm looking for. Gen 1 synths have it set at .3, most companions at .6, Kellog uses .95, and it looks like the Power Armor BOS have it at a whopping 1.0!

So I'm going to play with that a bit when I wake up and see what happens.

• 9 months later...

Okay, reporting back: I did find an "Accuracy Mult" field in the combat styles. I think that might be what I'm looking for. Gen 1 synths have it set at .3, most companions at .6, Kellog uses .95, and it looks like the Power Armor BOS have it at a whopping 1.0!

So I'm going to play with that a bit when I wake up and see what happens.

I know this is a pretty old post, but i'm wondering if you ever tested that parameter (CSRA - Ranged Accuracy Mult)? If you did, (and you see this post), could you share if that appeared to have complete control over npc accuracy? Besides weapon stats of course. I'd appreciate any info you remember regarding this. Thanks!

Yes, that affects their accuracy. I've read that scopes/sights seem to affect it as well, and that does seem to be the case. I'm unsure about any special points other than strength/endurance being used, but some people have said that does impact it as well.

For my mod I set caravan guards to have .95 and long scopes on hunting rifles, and they do seem to hit very consistently, often with headshots.

• 8 months later...