Game crash every 20 minutes (started 1 month ago)

PeriDewRitos

Hello- I am used to NV crashing every hour or two, and can play with that. Problem is, its every 20 minutes now. I have been trying to fix it for a month with no luck. Tried 4gb, did not solve issue. Tried NVAC, NVSR, and many other patches (six or seven at once). Nothing. Verify integrity fails. Tried about 10 uninstalls (including deleting FNV folder and My Games folder for NV in documents). Nope. I have loot, FNVedit, and they don't seem to help either. Also, I cannot run it from anything but NVSE anymore. When using launcher or New Vegas.exe it will crash midway through loading a save file. For both launcher and NVSE, I run as admin and in compatability mode for Windows XP (3). Nothing doing. Did the D3D9.dll from nexus and installed manually. Followed gopher's instructions and nothing occurs but more crashing.

It all started outside of novac when I wanted to go to that ranch out in the northwest before jacobstown. Whenever I approached the road, it would freeze and I'd CTRL ALT DELETE out. I have since deleted all of those save files (over 700 of them). I play with CASM but have the autosaves turned off for the standard game. The only sort of real visual mod I have is Realistic Wasteland Lighting. I do not often suffer from frame rate drops with this list- just freezing/crashing every 20 minutes (all in goodsprings mind you, as I have done nothing but make new saves and play through about an hour each time before trying again).

Specs:

Mod load order (NMM after LOOT):

I also have AWOP for vanilla game but have not turned it on for any of these new saves.

It seems this game has deteriorated since getting it in December 2015 to the point of these constant crashes. I've been modding since not long after this, and still could get a good couple hours of play without a crash. Have never had a corrupted save file (to my knowledge) with FNV or NVSE. It just seems the deterioration has followed me with every clean uninstall and reinstall of everything NV related (other than NMM mod list still being kept in NMM) from my computer.

Skyrim keeps corrupting my characters, and my CPU can't run FO4. I'm at my wits end for NV and FO3 is not nearly as fun mod-wise. I want to play my game again.

HOW DO I DO THIS?!

Edited by PeriDewRitos

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To much you do not describe, like is the game freezing up or crashing to desktop or is your PC locking up altogether, to really give you any sort of pinpoint answer. I would suggest getting your PC checked out to make sure it is not overheating and is not suffering from malware and any other hardware related woes.

Sorry to not be more help but the issues you are having are with your hardware or operating system and not a Fallout New Vegas problem in general.

For this problem to have started relatively recently, most commonly it has turned out to be the result of a Windows Update.

* Are you running Win10? Did you get the "Fall Creator's Update" (FCU aka "RedStone 3")? Do you have "New Vegas Stutter Remover" (NVSR) installed? If all three are "true", then please see the 'Issue: Recent (post-Win10 FCU) CTDs after 10-20 minutes of play' (and other "heap size") entries in the 'Solutions to Performance problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

* If you are suddenly having a "slowdown" or lag; or a lack of sound; or problems getting NVSE to load, or really anything new unexpectedly, please see the 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. This may be due to a Windows Update for the "Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities".

Otherwise, Please see the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

Re: Fall Creator's Update. If this is installed, Windows will report you have "version 1709" installed. All Windows system updates create a "System Restore Checkpoint" of the current OS prior to the update. You can restore to a prior checkpoint to revert an update, but that is really intended as a temporary measure while MS fixes a misbehaving patch. That is not the case with FCU.

Re: "Out of memory". If you are using the full 4GB of memory, most likely your CTD problem (now or in the future) is the default "heap size" is too small. It's so common you might as well deal with it now. Please see the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

There is a lot of evidence that the video pipeline leaks memory. Avoiding large image size texture replacements seems to slow this down.

-Dubious-

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough; I was referring to FCU as "not a temporary measure". FCU is the equivalent of what used to be a major "service pack". Under the new "Windows as a service" scheme effective with Win10, MS will not be releasing any new "versions" of Windows; only new "builds" as "updates" to Windows 10. By this time (6 months later), it is not something to be temporarily rolled back. Whatever fixes it required immediately have already been rolled out. A new one (Spring Creators Update) is due to be coming out shortly. (They are scheduled for every 6 months.)

You do not look to the system restore points to determine your version and build number of Windows. It's in the "Settings" app. Please see this article.

Unless you have been creating a lot of restore points since Feb 2018, you might want to consider increasing the available space for them to increase the number retained if you have enough room

By default windows allocates 1% of the drive space where it stores them. You can configure this.

-Dubious-