Face-Body Mismatch and Make-up Woes

JRFan007

So I've been having the whole edited NPC face doesn't match the body mismatch problem forever now. I recently tried the whole cntrl+F4 trick to no avail; it actually caused a new problem. Now when I'm in game, edited NPCs have mismatched skin and the ones with "upper eye socket" or eye shadow coloring shows up the same way it does in Creation Kit (As shown in my attachment). I've used the update tintmasks or whatever button and used cntrl+F4 and the only somewhat effective solution is the in game console command "setnpcweight XX" but that has to be done every time a new cell is loaded....Help me Nexus Community, you're my only hope!!

Also am I the only who's Creation Kit shows "upper eye socket" or eye shadow coloring as a painted forehead?? And why can't I see any warpaints in the Creation Kit??

You have to unload any mods you have that modify faces before you use ctl+F4. They interfere with the CK's NPC face process. Body mods do to sometimes. Best approach is to uninstall all of them before you modify your NPC's appearance. Use Cntrl+F4 to export the mesh and texture, then you can reinstall the mods and move on. But always remember to uninstall them again if you need to modify the appearance again. That's been working pretty well for me.

You have to unload any mods you have that modify faces before you use ctl+F4. They interfere with the CK's NPC face process. Body mods do to sometimes. Best approach is to uninstall all of them before you modify your NPC's appearance. Use Cntrl+F4 to export the mesh and texture, then you can reinstall the mods and move on. But always remember to uninstall them again if you need to modify the appearance again. That's been working pretty well for me.

Face mods like the Better Females texture replacer or do you mean mods that modify faces as in altering an npc's skin tone?

Yes, sorry to take so long to find my way back here. Yes, I think any mod that affects skin tones may cause the problem if they are active when you export the face mesh and textures from the CK. That means any of the better face mods, including those that just do meshes as well as any textures. I deacttivate all of the face and body mods first and then export the faces just to be sure. It's a simple process and you can always reactivate them once you have exported the faces you need. Remember that the CK picks up all of the meshes and textures you have loaded in the Data folders. I have noticed that when you export NPC faces with any body or face mods active, that NPC is tied to those modified textures until you deactivate them and re-export the face again. You can test that by exporting the face with body and face mods installed. And then unload the mod from the CK and deactivate the face and body textures. Reload the mod into the CK and when you go to the cell containing that NPC it should give you errors saying that it cannot find the textures you just deleted by deactivating the face and body mods. If you then re-export the face, everything is fine again. Just don't export faces with face and body mods activated and you shouldn't have the problem again. Edited by ch0k3h0ld

This may be a very specific fix, but it worked for me.

My issues involved:

1) Can't change lip color

2) Upper-eye-socket color tints the whole forehead

3) Eyeliner makes a weird mark on the head

I'm not sure which mod caused it (and I know that's not helpful :P), but I found a folder, and the texture files in the folder had the names of the parts I was having trouble with. For me, this folder was "tintmasks," located in:

Skyrim--> Data--> textures--> actors--> character--> Character assets --> tintmasks

I had nine files in there, including: 7 lips textures for some of the races, femalenordeyelinerstyle_01, and femaleuppereyesocket.

I simply dragged the folder "tintmasks" to my desktop and tried opening Creation Kit, and it completely fixed it, no issues.

As far as discolored face goes, ctrl+F4 worked for me, wish I could be more help there. It didn't work for me until I combined all my .esp files that had to do with changing characters (I'm not sure if that's necessary, though), so you can give that a shot.

My issues involved:

I'm not sure which mod caused it (and I know that's not helpful :P), but I found a folder, and the texture files in the folder had the names of the parts I was having trouble with. For me, this folder was "tintmasks," located in:

Skyrim--> Data--> textures--> actors--> character--> Character assets --> tintmasks

I had nine files in there, including: 7 lips textures for some of the races, femalenordeyelinerstyle_01, and femaleuppereyesocket.

I simply dragged the folder "tintmasks" to my desktop and tried opening Creation Kit, and it completely fixed it, no issues.

Google sent me to this page while I was looking for a fix for the whole no-changeable-lip-colour thing. Your method of removing the tintmasks folder worked perfectly! I'm not sure what the repercussions of this will be but I guess we'll find out. Thanks for the hint!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My issues involved:

As far as discolored face goes, ctrl+F4 worked for me, wish I could be more help there. It didn't work for me until I combined all my .esp files that had to do with changing characters (I'm not sure if that's necessary, though), so you can give that a shot.

It works, kudos to you!

Yes, sorry to take so long to find my way back here. Yes, I think any mod that affects skin tones may cause the problem if they are active when you export the face mesh and textures from the CK. That means any of the better face mods, including those that just do meshes as well as any textures. I deacttivate all of the face and body mods first and then export the faces just to be sure. It's a simple process and you can always reactivate them once you have exported the faces you need. Remember that the CK picks up all of the meshes and textures you have loaded in the Data folders. I have noticed that when you export NPC faces with any body or face mods active, that NPC is tied to those modified textures until you deactivate them and re-export the face again. You can test that by exporting the face with body and face mods installed. And then unload the mod from the CK and deactivate the face and body textures. Reload the mod into the CK and when you go to the cell containing that NPC it should give you errors saying that it cannot find the textures you just deleted by deactivating the face and body mods. If you then re-export the face, everything is fine again. Just don't export faces with face and body mods activated and you shouldn't have the problem again.

So I'm assuming that the reason behind the different skin tone black face/white body I've been seeing somewhat in my game. I tried a mod here that made copies of Serena and her family in whiterun halls of the dead and the girls looked white with george hamilton faces, lol. I decided to create a younger version of Valerica as a follower myself and got the same bug. I'm new to the creation kit and modding in general so I've been trying to figure out what caused that.