NifSkope Retexturing Problem

CaptainRC

Recently, I upgraded to Windows 7. (Yeah, finally!) But ever since I reinstalled NifSkope, I've been having retexturing problems. Now, when I try to redirect the NiSourceTexture to the proper dds file, the texture only shows up if the complete file path is shown. If I delete the part of the file path before the texture folder, the texture goes white again as if the texture didn't exist. Also, even if I save the nif file with the full texture path, in the game, the object just shows as a black shape. Does the program work differently in Windows 7 or am I doing something wrong? BTW, I do have the accompanying "normal mapping" dds file for the texture.

I have a tendency to ask about UAC as soon as I see Win 7/Vista mentioned ... just one of those things I like to find out sooner rather than later.

Here's a quote from a post DrakeTheDragon made recently:

- The texture file assigned to a body mesh doesn't matter to the engine, BUT if it doesn't exist or doesn't have a normalmap "_n.dds" file going along, it WILL cause the according error indicators (purple for textures, pitch black or invisible for normalmaps) ingame! Gotta love this engine, don't you?

I'll try to find the thread and post a link.

- Edit - That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Mismatching Hand and Body Textures ... Drake's post is #3.

Edited by Striker879

If it's not a body mesh (material "skin"), could you give us an example of the texture's filename?

I'm asking because you said the pathing is now working but the game still acts as if the normalmap ("..._n.dds") is missing. There are situations when the filename requires the normalmap to be named differently as one would expect.

Most importantly the game doesn't like "_" in filenames, as those are used for identifying file types. Basically still any stuff is allowed after a "_" but a few select things aren't. The "n" and the "g" is reserved for normalmaps and glowmaps respectively, and any stuff you add after a "_" which "begins" with one of those is taken for one of those. You can't use a texture filename like "mytexture_glows_fine.dds", because the game will take it for a glowmap. Neither can you use "mytexture_is_nice.dds", because the game will take it for a normalmap.

Additionally you can use filenames like "mytexture_red.dds", "mytexture_blue.dds" and "mytexture_white.dds" (no reserved characters here) and only 1 single normalmap file "mytexture_n.dds". Most importantly normalmaps "mytexture_blue_n.dds", "mytexture_red_n.dds" and "mytexture_white_n.dds" simply won't work either, as the game is only looking for "mytexture_n.dds" and only for this one.

If it's not a body mesh (material "skin"), could you give us an example of the texture's filename?

I'm asking because you said the pathing is now working but the game still acts as if the normalmap ("..._n.dds") is missing. There are situations when the filename requires the normalmap to be named differently as one would expect.

Most importantly the game doesn't like "_" in filenames, as those are used for identifying file types. Basically still any stuff is allowed after a "_" but a few select things aren't. The "n" and the "g" is reserved for normalmaps and glowmaps respectively, and any stuff you add after a "_" which "begins" with one of those is taken for one of those. You can't use a texture filename like "mytexture_glows_fine.dds", because the game will take it for a glowmap. Neither can you use "mytexture_is_nice.dds", because the game will take it for a normalmap.

Additionally you can use filenames like "mytexture_red.dds", "mytexture_blue.dds" and "mytexture_white.dds" (no reserved characters here) and only 1 single normalmap file "mytexture_n.dds". Most importantly normalmaps "mytexture_blue_n.dds", "mytexture_red_n.dds" and "mytexture_white_n.dds" simply won't work either, as the game is only looking for "mytexture_n.dds" and only for this one.

nifskope cant read the bsa.. so if the textures is not "unzipped" in the texture/ .../..../folder/ then wont read the dds any way .. try puting the texutre in the data/texture/folder path were it is located if the bsa was "unzipped"

then can view in nifskope or nif viewer(obmm exe) then if texture is correct on the mesh that you are viewing and already in tes4 bsa then can delete the path that was made so you could view in nif viwer or skope or blender..But if was a NEW texture unknown to tes4 (NOT BSA.) then its already in data/texture/"mynewtextures"/ . make any since ,,. I hoped it worked for you.......

OPPS drake not met to be linked to your post .....

Edited by mrlosesafer